Question about IDs for Content Types and Site columns when using Get-PnPProvisioningTemplate

Iron Contributor

I'm curious about the "best practice" regarding the ID values for content types and site columns.  If we typically plan and document our content types and columns including their ID values, what is the best way to create a provisioning template?  I see three options:

1. Author the template XML from scratch using our planned ID values for the Content Types and columns.
  2. Configure the content types and columns in the UI, then export the template with Get-PnPProvisioningTemplate, then manually edit the XML to replace the Id values.
  3. Configure the content types and columns in the UI, then export the template with Get-PnPProvisioningTemplate, and leave the default Id values for the content types and columns in the template.  Essentially this means letting SharePoint control the Id values.

I've been doing option 2, which is pretty tedious and requires extra testing.  I'm curious if there is really any downside in the long run to going with option 3? Thoughts?

0 Replies