SOLVED

Making sense of the test results obtained by running Measure-PnPResponseTime

Iron Contributor

Hi

I have been running some performance tests against a pre-production SharePoint 2016 farm.  Anyway, I connect to intranet via (lb) url and execute the  PS snippet below, remotely on one of the dev servers - my supplied laptop is very locked down :(

$testUrls = @{

"IntranetHome" = "/"

"SomeContentRollup" = "/sites/search/pages/myniceresults.aspx?k=sw"

"Pages" = "/Pages/Forms/AllItems.aspx"

}

$datetimeSuffix = (get-date).ToString("_ddMMyyy_HHmmss")

$count = 1000

$timeout = 50

$warmUp = 10

$histogram = 20

# iterate through key and value pairs

$testUrls.Keys | ForEach-Object{

$_ , $testUrls[$_]

$name = $_

Measure-PnPResponseTime $testUrls[$_] -Count $count -WarmUp $warmUp -Histogram $histogram -Timeout $timeout `

| Select -expa Histogram | % {$_.GetEnumerator() | `

Export-Csv ("C:\Users\sp2013_admin\Documents\Stats\" + $name + "-responsetime-" + $datetimeSuffix + ".csv") -NoTypeInformation}

}

A colleague and I have been trying to make sense of the histogram data: we know the value adds up to the total number of tests i.e 1000. It's the Key we find confusing - is it some sort of auto scale between min and max values in ms. This might explain why so many keys have zero value.

Also what would a good and a bad set results look like; just so that I can compare. By all means suggest better test urls etc.

The above tests won't run against SharePoint 2007, so I wondered if anyone has used any open source testing tools

4 Replies

@Erwin van Hunen , good talking to you earlier after Vesa's presentation. Here is the question I posted - it is the (key) scale I  find confusing.  

Happy to paste up he CSV file data when I am able to vpn to the office.

Thanks 

Daniel

Any update on this please ? All we are looking for is an explaination of how the Keys are derived?
best response confirmed by Daniel Westerdale (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Daniel Westerdale,

Take a look at this post in StackOverFlow, https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/276954/what-are-the-meaning-of-histogram-results, I created and found the solution almost at the same time.

@jaloplo 

Thanks for the update. This is going back a bit, so it took a while to work out what my 'former self' was asking :smile:.   I think I was tuning a on premises  SP installation at the time . Nevertheless the explanation does make sense. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Daniel Westerdale (Iron Contributor)