Is SharePoint staying around?

Iron Contributor
Is SharePoint here for another 15+ years with continued strong development and community support?

Would you become a SharePoint developer (intermediate to advanced level) if your company had a gap to fill? By intermediate I mean, able to take standard apps, and add JavaScript/jquery for customisation as well as use the o365 apis for custom apps. Able to whip out VS and deploy a basic custom SharePoint app..
3 Replies
Absolutely, and the best proof you have are the latest investment shown by Microsoft not only in terms of new functionality but also in terms of new dev capabilities (AKA SharePoint Framework model)
Thank you Juan, it's what I thought. It's just great to heart it from you guys.

I don't think that it is possible to predict what technologies will be used in 15 years.

Fifteen years ago, in 2002, there were no iPhones, Google was not a public company, and Facebook did not exist.

How much longer SP will continue to be a product sold by MS is anyones guess, but it quite clear that they have invested a lot of $ recently and that this is not expected to change anytime soon.