SOLVED

How to remove all list item permissions using PnP Powershell

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I would like to remove all permissions of a list item using PnP Powershell

I have tried this command : Set-PnPListItemPermission -Identity $item.id -User 'user@contoso.com' -AddRole "Contribute"

However the user running the script/command was also added with Full Control permissions.

Is there any other way to remove all existing permissions for a list item using PnP Powershell ?

Thanks

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Arioule (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Arioule 

It's normal behavior for the current user to remain in the list item permissions when the inheritance is broken and cleared on a list item to ensure that at least one user still has access.

Try this:

First assign permissions to a user:

Set-PnPListItemPermission -List 'ListName' -Identity 1 -User 'user@contoso.com' -AddRole 'Contribute' -ClearExisting

Then remove permissions of the user running script:

Set-PnPListItemPermission -List 'ListName' -Identity 1 -User "scriptuser@contoso.com" -RemoveRole "Full Control"

ReferenceSet-PnPListItemPermission -ClearExisting adds the user running the script with full control  

Please click Mark as Best Response if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Arioule (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Arioule 

It's normal behavior for the current user to remain in the list item permissions when the inheritance is broken and cleared on a list item to ensure that at least one user still has access.

Try this:

First assign permissions to a user:

Set-PnPListItemPermission -List 'ListName' -Identity 1 -User 'user@contoso.com' -AddRole 'Contribute' -ClearExisting

Then remove permissions of the user running script:

Set-PnPListItemPermission -List 'ListName' -Identity 1 -User "scriptuser@contoso.com" -RemoveRole "Full Control"

ReferenceSet-PnPListItemPermission -ClearExisting adds the user running the script with full control  

Please click Mark as Best Response if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

View solution in original post