How to "Register" Tenant-Wide Extensions on a Site?

Silver Contributor

So I'm playing with SPFX extensions, and have deployed one with "tenant-wide" activated, but all the instructions I find say you still have to "register" the extension with each site using REST or CSOM before it can take effect.

Are there any examples of what this actually looks like?

5 Replies

@Brent Ellis I'm trying to track down an answer on this as well. I've publishing a tenant-scoped Application Customizer to my app catalog, but am not sure what else is required here.

Here's what I see in the latest documentation:

"SharePoint Framework extensions will be immediately available to be used in the SharePoint sites. This means that they can be associated to be used with ClientSideComponentId properties in the specific SharePoint elements, like fields and user custom actions."

https://dev.office.com/sharepoint/docs/spfx/tenant-scoped-deployment

@Brent Ellis @Chris O'Brien very nice – thanks for tracking this down! I'd still like to see MS' documentation and guidance for tenant-wide extensions moving forward. In my mind, extensions are not truly "tenant-wide" if they require a script of this nature.

For instance, how would I accomidate extensions for self-service O365 group creation? Right now it sounds like the answer is a PowerShell script that's running nightly (not ideal).

Anyone know if activating via a site script is going to be the way to do this?

Do we still need to do this  via @COB's script?

I simple changed the web entry to 1 but I suspect this is done when we register each site. 

Tenant wide deployment 2.png