HOW TO Move a list from one SharePoint to another

Brass Contributor

In classic SharePoint you could save a list as a template, download it, and then upload it to a new SharePoint. I need to move a list (and it's contents) to a different SharePoint, how does one do that in Modern Online SharePoint?

7 Replies

@smithme one easy way to do it is with a flow in Power Automate.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

And for the templating, use the new list templates feature that allows to create a Site Script from an existing list and provision it as part of a list design
I can't find any SharePoint actions in Power Automate that would let me copy a list to another SharePoint?

@smithme there is no specific action to copy a list, you need to have created the list you want to copy to, then in the flow use Get items  -> Apply to each -> Create item so the flow will loop through the current list and for each item it will create an item in the new list:

0-SP-list-noattachments.png

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

Okay that makes sense to me.

But, there is now way to copy the list structure, is that correct?

@smithme when you create a new list you can choose to create it from an existing list which copies the structure though not the items.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@RobElliott 

So that makes sense  in terms of the steps in PowerAutomate, but pretty ridiculous that you can't export and import content?