Get-SPOSite authority error

%3CLINGO-SUB%20id%3D%22lingo-sub-1048251%22%20slang%3D%22en-US%22%3EGet-SPOSite%20authority%20error%3C%2FLINGO-SUB%3E%3CLINGO-BODY%20id%3D%22lingo-body-1048251%22%20slang%3D%22en-US%22%3E%3CP%3EStarting%20today%20between%208%3A30am%20and%209%3A30am%20PST%2C%20the%20Get-SPOSite%20powershell%20command%20started%20giving%20authority%20errors%20when%20trying%20to%20use%20it.%26nbsp%3B%20I'm%20a%20global%20admin%20and%20I%20can%20connect%20to%20my%20SharePoint%20Online%20environment%20using%20Connect-SPOService.%26nbsp%3B%20I've%20been%20able%20to%20run%20a%20Get-SPOxxxxx%20command%20that%20works%20(Get-SPOExternalUser%20to%20be%20specific).%26nbsp%3B%20However%2C%20when%20I%20try%20Get-SPOSite%20or%20Get-SPOUser%20they%20fail%20with%20authority%20errors.%26nbsp%3B%20I've%20already%20opened%20a%20support%20ticket.%26nbsp%3B%20Has%20anyone%20else%20had%20this%20behavior%20starting%20today%3F%3F%3C%2FP%3E%3C%2FLINGO-BODY%3E%3CLINGO-SUB%20id%3D%22lingo-sub-1049041%22%20slang%3D%22en-US%22%3ERe%3A%20Get-SPOSite%20authority%20error%3C%2FLINGO-SUB%3E%3CLINGO-BODY%20id%3D%22lingo-body-1049041%22%20slang%3D%22en-US%22%3EI'm%20not%20aware%20of%20any%20problems%20with%20SPO%20cmdlets...yesterday%20I%20was%20doing%20some%20stuff%20at%20a%20customer%20tenant%20with%20no%20problems%20(Also%20using%20Get-SPOSite)%3C%2FLINGO-BODY%3E%3CLINGO-SUB%20id%3D%22lingo-sub-1049947%22%20slang%3D%22en-US%22%3ERe%3A%20Get-SPOSite%20authority%20error%3C%2FLINGO-SUB%3E%3CLINGO-BODY%20id%3D%22lingo-body-1049947%22%20slang%3D%22en-US%22%3E%3CP%3E%3CA%20href%3D%22https%3A%2F%2Ftechcommunity.microsoft.com%2Ft5%2Fuser%2Fviewprofilepage%2Fuser-id%2F60%22%20target%3D%22_blank%22%3E%40Juan%20Carlos%20Gonz%C3%A1lez%20Mart%C3%ADn%3C%2FA%3E%26nbsp%3BI%20have%20a%20scheduled%20job%20which%20uses%20this%20command%20every%20hour.%26nbsp%3B%20It%20stopped%20working%20between%200830%20and%200930%20PST.%26nbsp%3B%20I%20did%20it%20manually%20again%20this%20morning%20and%20it%20still%20failed%3A%3C%2FP%3E%3CP%3E%26nbsp%3B%3C%2FP%3E%3CP%3EPS%20C%3A%5Ctemp%26gt%3B%20Connect-SPOService%20-Url%20%3CA%20href%3D%22https%3A%2F%2Fxxxxxxxxxx-admin.sharepoint.com%22%20target%3D%22_blank%22%20rel%3D%22nofollow%20noopener%20noreferrer%22%3Ehttps%3A%2F%2Fxxxxxxxxxx-admin.sharepoint.com%3C%2FA%3E%3CBR%20%2F%3EPS%20C%3A%5Ctemp%26gt%3B%20Get-SPOExternalUser%3C%2FP%3E%3CP%3E%3CBR%20%2F%3EEmail%20%3A%20azzzzzzzzz%40yyyyyyy.com%3CBR%20%2F%3EDisplayName%20%3A%20Angela%20Zzzzzzzz%3CBR%20%2F%3EUniqueId%20%3A%2010032XXXXXXXXXX%3CBR%20%2F%3EAcceptedAs%20%3A%20Azzzzzzzz%40yyyyyyyy.com%3CBR%20%2F%3EWhenCreated%20%3A%2012%2F3%2F2019%2010%3A43%3A11%20PM%3CBR%20%2F%3EInvitedBy%20%3A%3C%2FP%3E%3CP%3E%26nbsp%3B%3C%2FP%3E%3CP%3EPS%20C%3A%5Ctemp%26gt%3B%20Get-SPOSite%3CBR%20%2F%3EGet-SPOSite%20%3A%20Access%20denied.%20You%20do%20not%20have%20permission%20to%20perform%20this%20action%20or%20access%20this%20resource.%3CBR%20%2F%3EAt%20line%3A1%20char%3A1%3CBR%20%2F%3E%2B%20Get-SPOSite%3CBR%20%2F%3E%2B%20~~~~~~~~~~~%3CBR%20%2F%3E%2B%20CategoryInfo%20%3A%20NotSpecified%3A%20(%3A)%20%5BGet-SPOSite%5D%2C%20ServerUnauthorizedAccessException%3CBR%20%2F%3E%2B%20FullyQualifiedErrorId%20%3A%20Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ServerUnauthorizedAccessException%2CMicrosoft.Online.SharePoin%3CBR%20%2F%3Et.PowerShell.GetSite%3C%2FP%3E%3CP%3E%26nbsp%3B%3C%2FP%3E%3CP%3ESo%20we%20can%20see%20that%20I%20did%20login%20via%20Connect-SPOService%20so%20I'm%20a%20global%20admin.%26nbsp%3B%20I%20did%20a%20command%20and%20got%20data%20back%20from%20SPO.%26nbsp%3B%20Then%2C%20the%20Get-SPOSite%20command%20fails.%3C%2FP%3E%3C%2FLINGO-BODY%3E
New Contributor

Starting today between 8:30am and 9:30am PST, the Get-SPOSite powershell command started giving authority errors when trying to use it.  I'm a global admin and I can connect to my SharePoint Online environment using Connect-SPOService.  I've been able to run a Get-SPOxxxxx command that works (Get-SPOExternalUser to be specific).  However, when I try Get-SPOSite or Get-SPOUser they fail with authority errors.  I've already opened a support ticket.  Has anyone else had this behavior starting today??

2 Replies
I'm not aware of any problems with SPO cmdlets...yesterday I was doing some stuff at a customer tenant with no problems (Also using Get-SPOSite)

@Juan Carlos González Martín I have a scheduled job which uses this command every hour.  It stopped working between 0830 and 0930 PST.  I did it manually again this morning and it still failed:

 

PS C:\temp> Connect-SPOService -Url https://xxxxxxxxxx-admin.sharepoint.com
PS C:\temp> Get-SPOExternalUser


Email : azzzzzzzzz@yyyyyyy.com
DisplayName : Angela Zzzzzzzz
UniqueId : 10032XXXXXXXXXX
AcceptedAs : Azzzzzzzz@yyyyyyyy.com
WhenCreated : 12/3/2019 10:43:11 PM
InvitedBy :

 

PS C:\temp> Get-SPOSite
Get-SPOSite : Access denied. You do not have permission to perform this action or access this resource.
At line:1 char:1
+ Get-SPOSite
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-SPOSite], ServerUnauthorizedAccessException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ServerUnauthorizedAccessException,Microsoft.Online.SharePoin
t.PowerShell.GetSite

 

So we can see that I did login via Connect-SPOService so I'm a global admin.  I did a command and got data back from SPO.  Then, the Get-SPOSite command fails.