Get-SPOSite authority error

Copper Contributor

Starting today between 8:30am and 9:30am PST, the Get-SPOSite powershell command started giving authority errors when trying to use it.  I'm a global admin and I can connect to my SharePoint Online environment using Connect-SPOService.  I've been able to run a Get-SPOxxxxx command that works (Get-SPOExternalUser to be specific).  However, when I try Get-SPOSite or Get-SPOUser they fail with authority errors.  I've already opened a support ticket.  Has anyone else had this behavior starting today??

2 Replies
I'm not aware of any problems with SPO cmdlets...yesterday I was doing some stuff at a customer tenant with no problems (Also using Get-SPOSite)

@Juan Carlos González Martín I have a scheduled job which uses this command every hour.  It stopped working between 0830 and 0930 PST.  I did it manually again this morning and it still failed:


PS C:\temp> Connect-SPOService -Url
PS C:\temp> Get-SPOExternalUser

Email :
DisplayName : Angela Zzzzzzzz
UniqueId : 10032XXXXXXXXXX
AcceptedAs :
WhenCreated : 12/3/2019 10:43:11 PM
InvitedBy :


PS C:\temp> Get-SPOSite
Get-SPOSite : Access denied. You do not have permission to perform this action or access this resource.
At line:1 char:1
+ Get-SPOSite
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-SPOSite], ServerUnauthorizedAccessException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ServerUnauthorizedAccessException,Microsoft.Online.SharePoin


So we can see that I did login via Connect-SPOService so I'm a global admin.  I did a command and got data back from SPO.  Then, the Get-SPOSite command fails.