Get-SPOFeature

Iron Contributor

Hi 

I am migrating from one SharePoint Online tenancy to another SharePoint Online Tenmancy.

How do I copy bespoke features from the source tenancy to the destination tenancy ?

I can enable and disable features using Enable-SPOFeature and Disable-SPOFeature, but how do I get the feature copied across ? Do I need the source of the Feature and the upload it into the destination tenancy ?

Regards

Nigel

9 Replies

Hi @Nigel Price,

Are you talking about features from Farm solutions? -> You can't copy these as farm solutions don't exist.

For out of the box features. -> Yes you could enable these.

Have you looked at using PnP? You could simply (it might not  be as simple as this) export a template from your on-premises site and merge it with and export form your destination office 365 site.

So Get-PnP Provisioing Template form both source and destination and then manually copy bits across in the template file.  You could also consider using my PnP PowerShell Sample ( currently in preview only!) 

https://veenstra.me.uk/2017/04/19/office-365-sharepoint-20132016-moving-sites-around/

Hi @Pieter Veenstra

These are bespoke features either site collection features or site features.

Regards

Nigel

Hi @Nigel Price,

Then there isn't really a way to migrate them. You could use PnP to copy columns, content types etc created by your features. However you are likely to hit some issues on the way. 

Some things that used to make perfect sens in on-premises environment simply do no exist in Office 635.

also migrating like for like would make you ignore all the new features available and therefore you might not end up with the best solution possible.

Hi @Pieter Veenstra

THis is a SharePoint Online to a SharePoint Online migration, but the source and destination are in different tenancies.

Regards

Nigel

Are these features coming from Sandbox solutions?

Sandbox solutions shouldn't still be use.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/marios_mo_betta_blog/2016/08/02/sharepoint-online-sandboxed-solu...

no they are not sandbox solutions

they are custom look and feel features

I would give Get-PnPProvisioningTemplate and Apply-PnPProvisioningTmeplate a try then. 

Agree with Pieter, it seems your scenario is just a normal provisioning scenario where your source is one SPO tenant and the destination is another one