SOLVED

Feature is not added to site when I install an spfx app with a list view command set a second time

Iron Contributor

I have an SPFX (1.14.0) app deployed to my tenant app catalog. The app implements a list view command set and in package-solution I set skipFeatureDeployment to false so that site owners can add the app to their sites. The package-solution file contains this one feature in the features section:

{ 
            "title": "HelloSign - this feature deploys a custom action to allow users to send documents to HelloSign for signature", 
            "description": "Deploys a custom action with ClientSideComponentId association", 
            "id": "40867f69-f2e4-454e-9c5f-9a511276ae75", 
            "version": "1.0.0.0", 
            "assets": { 
                "elementManifests": [ 
                    "elements.xml", 
                    "ClientSideInstance.xml" 
                ] 
            } 
}

When users first deploy the app, everything works fine. They see my custom action when they select a file in a document library. If they look at site features, they see the feature that was deployed via the app and it is Active. If they look at {siteurl}/_api/Web/UserCustomActions it shows the custom action itself.

If however, users remove the app from their site and then deploy it again, none of the above happens. They don’t see my custom action when they select a file in a document library. The feature that is deployed via the app does not show in site features. If they look at {siteurl}/_api/Web/UserCustomActions it is empty.

my elements.xml file looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Elements xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/">
    <CustomAction
        Title="HelloSign"
        RegistrationId="101"
        RegistrationType="List"
        Location="ClientSideExtension.ListViewCommandSet.CommandBar"
        ClientSideComponentId="6e6f9c79-b45f-4967-b6bd-f81169c8171e"
        ClientSideComponentProperties="....">
    </CustomAction>
</Elements>

my ClientSideInstance.xml looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Elements xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/">
    <ClientSideComponentInstance
        Title="HelloSign"
        Location="ClientSideExtension.ListViewCommandSet.CommandBar"
        ListTemplateId="101"
        Properties="..."
        ComponentId="6e6f9c79-b45f-4967-b6bd-f81169c8171e" />
</Elements>

Anyone have any idea why the feature would not be added back when a user deletes , and then re-adds the app?

(reposting from listviewcommandset - Feature is not added to site when I install an spfx app with a list view comman...)

2 Replies
Ah, figured it out. Needed to remove the app from both recycle bins. Then reinstall.
best response confirmed by Russell Gove (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Russell Gove Yes, always follow this process to completely remove SPFx app/extension from site:

1. Remove app/extension from site (site contents)
  2. Delete the SPFx app from first-stage recycle bin
  3. Delete the SPFx app from second-stage recycle bin (SCA recycle bin)

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Russell Gove (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Russell Gove Yes, always follow this process to completely remove SPFx app/extension from site:

1. Remove app/extension from site (site contents)
  2. Delete the SPFx app from first-stage recycle bin
  3. Delete the SPFx app from second-stage recycle bin (SCA recycle bin)

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

View solution in original post