SOLVED

Document Management - get the metadata of the document after Moveing Documents from one doc library

Brass Contributor

Dear Experts,

I have a requirement which i am struggling from last few days.

The requirement is as follows:

Scenario :

In SharePoint online, i have hub site and under the hub site i have 2 associated sites(Team site or Community Site).

Under each associated site , i have 1 document Library each- Say DocLib A and DocLib B.

In both the site the Document ID service feature is enabled.

Initially both the document libraries have identical schema (say "Title", "Name", "Category", "Document ID")

Now i upload a document in one of the document library DocLib A of a site and added the values in properties or metadata of the document.

After adding i get the document ID which is unique from Document ID Service feature.

Now i Move the document from DocLib A document library of one associated site to Another DocLib B document library of another associated site. Since the schemas or structures are identical, all the values of Properties get mapped into it.

Now i added a new column in the DocLib B and added the value into it. Then i again moved back from DocLib B to DocLib A.

Here, since the schemas are not identical (newly added column are not added in Doc Lib A), the value of newly added column of DocLib B is not moved or not viewed.

After that i again moved the item from DocLib A to DocLib B the value which i added gets restored.

Now my question is where the values of the properties gets stored in SharePoint, against the Documeni ID. Can i get all the metadata of the document with respect to Document ID? If yes how can we get the same.

Thanks and Regards

Asesh Maity

1 Reply
best response confirmed by Asesh Kumar Maity (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Asesh Kumar Maity 
Looks like this is just standard property promotion / property demotion at work.

The SharePoint column values are also stored in certain file types such as docx, xlsx, tiff, ...
So when a file moves to another library the property promotion will extract the values from the file and capture them into the columns in that library.

Did you use an Office file (e.g. docx/xlsx/pptx)?

A quick check: repeat the same steps with a pdf or zip file. The property promotion/demotion does not support pdf or zip files.

Paul | SLIM Applications 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Asesh Kumar Maity (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Asesh Kumar Maity 
Looks like this is just standard property promotion / property demotion at work.

The SharePoint column values are also stored in certain file types such as docx, xlsx, tiff, ...
So when a file moves to another library the property promotion will extract the values from the file and capture them into the columns in that library.

Did you use an Office file (e.g. docx/xlsx/pptx)?

A quick check: repeat the same steps with a pdf or zip file. The property promotion/demotion does not support pdf or zip files.

Paul | SLIM Applications 

View solution in original post