Are We moving from dll hell to Nuget Package Hell ?

Iron Contributor

I am trying to compile SharePointPnP.Powershell and I am getting this message :-

Error CS1705 Assembly 'Microsoft.SharePoint.Client' with identity 'Microsoft.SharePoint.Client, Version=16.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c' uses 'Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.Runtime, Version=16.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c' which has a higher version than referenced assembly 'Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.Runtime' with identity 'Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.Runtime, Version=16.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c' SharePointPnP.PowerShell.Tests 

So it would appear that the Nuget Packages have gotten themselves out of sync.  I have about 43 errors like this one.

I would have thought by now we would not get this sort of problem.

But I was wrong !

3 Replies
In this case we don't use nuget packages for the CSOM sdk. We refer to them from the PnP Sites Core repository, which is the reason we require a clone of that repository too on your machine. Did you update that repo too before you tried to compile the PowerShell project?

Hi Erwin

Yes, I have a clone of the PnP Site Core Repository.

Yes, I did update that repo before trying to compile the PowerShell project.

The PnP Site Core Repository compiled successfully.  

It was the PnP Powershell repo which failed.  I updated the references and it all compiled.

But I should not need to do that should I ?

Nigel

It turns out all of the problems were in SharePointPnP.PowerShell.Tests.

I went through all of the references and change the 16.0.0.0 -> 16.1.0.0

Then worked fine.

SharePointPnP.PowerShell.ModuleFilesGenerator and SharePointPnP.PowerShell.Commands were at 16.1.0.0

@Erwin van Hunen