Add new Site Policy in SharePoint Online by code

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

I am looking for a way to create a Site Policy in a SharePoint Online site collection by code (C# or PowerShell). I am wondering that for assigning a Site Policy to a site classes and methods are available in the CSOM, but there is nothing for creating the policies. And when there is anything, it's in a hidden place, where nobody can find it.

I have also tried to create the content type for the Site Policy by code to have a workaround, but the content type needs additional information in its XmlDocument member, but via Rest it is not possible to save this data.

The reason why I need the Site Policy is the site lifecycle, we need to implement. After a specific amount of time the site collection should be set into a read-only mode. The only way I see, is the Site Policy with its "The site collection will be read only when it is closed" setting. If there is any other way (no, removing the permissions is not a solution), then I maybe do not need the Site Policy.

Any hints are welcome. Maybe something for the PnP team (and they do a really good work!).

Thanks

Olaf

1 Reply

Ok, not what I really wanted, but an approach to create a site policy automatically, when a site collection is created. I don't know why, but without the modifications on the content type for the site policy, the content type hub won't publish the site policy content type to other site collections.

https://olafd.wordpress.com/2017/03/23/apply-site-policy-automatically-on-site-creation-in-sharepoin...

Maybe there is anyone from the SharePoint product group, who can tell me, whether the approach is a no-go or not.

Thanks,

Olaf