Home

Thoughts on O365 Group SharePoint Sites versus correlating Classic SP Sites (mini migrations)

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

We have done extensive work creating organized team sites (think information architecture) for our organization in classic sharepoint

As we look as starting to create Groups for various departments, projects, etc that have existing SharePoint sites, do you recommend doing mini-migrations to new Group sites and shutting down old SharePoint sites?

I'd prefer to have the ability to turn of SharePoint Sites on certain groups, but in lieu of that I also don't want sites all over the place not being used.  Seems like an organization and duplication nightmare in some cases.

Example, a site collection called /sites/projects/ where each subsite is a specific project.

8 Replies
Highlighted
Though there is no timeline, they have said in the past that existing SharePoint Team Sites will eventually get associated to an Office 365 Group. Though details have not been laid out yet as to which Team Sites would be able to get upgraded and how.

Hope this helps, you could do small migrations and use Groups with their associated Team Sites it really is up to you and the timeline you have for this.
One way would be to start new Sites as connected Groups Sites and eventually your older ones will either stopped being used or get associated to Groups.

But again there is no official timeline.
Highlighted

Brent. So the first answer - duplicates are bad, especially because search will find them!

I would be curious how you do you currently do global navigation. You bring up a good point that one of the issues with groups is that they're independent site collections and not in your direct navigation. However, for example, you could use managed metadata navigation to manual control where the departments link to.

One major consideration for moving departments to groups is the associated e-mail address. I would recommend transforming the distributation list to the group (because otherwise naming becomes a nightmare.

Remember that a group team site (weird name but you know what I mean) is a full site collection so if you have the department = group you can still have /sites/group/subsite.

In short, MOVE the content!

Highlighted

The team is wokring on plans to enable various capabilities to "groupify" classic team sites. The team is looking at a phased approach and we'll have more to share soon.

To date, in production, classic sites have received modern document libraries, modern lists, modern site contents page, ability to create modrn publishing pages - and you can create a modern page and declare it as your home page (on the classic site). More to come per the modernization effort, with the want to be able to connect the classic team site to a Office 365 group...

In all, I'd not suggest mifgration, but a little patience and focus today on using the modern components within classic sites, and then groupifying them when you can per the method(s) we'll enable.

Highlighted
please please please do not groupify ALL team sites automatically. There are soooo many team sites built that do not warrant the rest of the Group stuff.

my biggest complaint with groups has been how it provisions so many things that are not needed. If I have a team site that is just based around a particular collection of documents, that doesnt need a planner or an email or a calendar. make sure the users get to choose.
Highlighted

@Adam Levithan to answer your question, we did a custom drop down mega menu that we inject into our site collections using usercustomactions.  It is a html/css based menu that we load from a centralized location (update once and it automatically updates everywhere in SharePoint).

Site-level Global Navigation is too limited, Managed Metadata Navigation never worked well especially across site collections.  There is no true "organizationally enforced" menu that can be shown on all SharePoint sites.  The current model is moving to a "bucket of unorganized sites that you have a access to" that you can just get to from the SharePoint home.  But we have hundreds upon hundreds of sites, and we need to make sure that the top 10-20 fully endorsed ones are easily discoverable and accessible by all of our users.

<jumping off of soapbox>

We do a little bit of branding to go along with it, but what it gives us is at the top of EVERY page in our SharePoint environment a quick menu that will take you to:

• Dropdown 1: Informational pages on our operating companies and departments
  • Dropdown 2: Quick link to "Sites I have access to" search page
  • Dropdown 3: Key Links
  • Dropdown 4: Strategic Initiatives - things that are important to our organization, like how we do business, strategic goals, volunteer work, etc
  • Dropdown 5: Support/Help links - contact information for help desk, submit project ideas, request new sites or other IT resources
  • Dropdown 6: My stuff - icon links based on what operating company you align to (queried from user profile), and a filterable list of "Site's I'm Following"

mm1.jpgmm2.jpgmm3.jpg

Highlighted
Highlighted

Mark,

Any updates on group-a-fying classic sites.  Our timeline has us migrating some larger departments soon and I am very worried about the classic site vs 0365 group connected sites.   I am loving the modern sites and all the integration.  Should we "hold" the migration to the already created classic sites with global nav and customization or move forward and hope for full 0365 group integration soon.

Advice please.

Thanks in advance.

Christine

Highlighted
As an update, we are just doing mini migrations only for actual teams, and hoping that one day enterprise navigation can catch up.

Having people click on the tenant Logo to go back to our home page, and then where they want to go is pretty frustrating, but we dont really have any other options whatsoever :(

Also hoping to hear some good stuff regarding communication sites in a few weeks.