Home

SharePoint Team Sites with Office 365 Groups

Highlighted
Contributor

From all of the announcements I'm expecting that full SharePoint team sites are now available with Office 365 Groups, but in one of our tenants (has first release for select people) it isn't available yet. Is this supposed to be fully rolled out to all tenants at this time? If so, what's the recommended steps in troubleshooting this issue?

4 Replies
Highlighted

Hey there. I think - unless I heard wrong - when you create a new Office 365 Group it creates a new site *collection* not site. Someone will confirm. I have some tenants site collections where O365 Groups is active, and you can create the new group from the SharePoint Hello or Welcome page - top level one - in Office 365. Perhaps you are looking in the wrong spot to create a new group?

Highlighted
Hey Doug!
First Release for Tenant and First Release for individuals is very different behind the scenes and have different release cycles depending on the feature rolling out.
It's possible that you need to wait a bit more for it to land, just poked someone from the team hopefully you get a definitive answer soon.
Highlighted
New and existing groups will have a connected modern team site. As of Oct. 13th, 2016, we are now fully rolled out to all First Release customers. The last of the FR tenants to get the feature was FR for select people (it created a unique challenge for non FR people within same tenant. But as we move into production very soon, this will resolve. Our latest blog on this topic is here: "Create connected SharePoint Online team sites in seconds" [11/7/2016]: https://blogs.office.com/2016/11/08/create-connected-sharepoint-online-team-sites-in-seconds/.
Highlighted

Thanks Mark. I completely understand the reasoning around holding off on "first release for select people" tenants. If I understand you correctly, this change hasn't completely rolled out to tenants on first release for select people then? Any timeframe?