Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

When is the AIP viewer necessary?

Copper Contributor

When is the AIP viewer necessary?

Here are some scenarios:

Assume I send a protected word document to a client who has:

1. An older version of Office (like 2010 or 2013).
  2. A current version of Office.
  3. An Android or iPhone without the Word app installed.
  4. An Android or iPhone with the Word app installed.

Are any of the above scenarios different for protected PDFs?

I've looked online for the answer, but haven't found anything definitive yet.

1 Reply

Azure Information Protection has a viewer for Windows, and a viewer for iOS and Android.  Neither open Office documents - see the table in the link for options, here.  On iOS and Android but not Windows, it can open protected emails.  Both viewers can open protected PDFs, protected text and image files, and files that are generically protected (have a .pfile file name extension).

In many cases, the viewers are "necessary" only if you don't have an alternative supporting app.  For example, Adobe and Foxit also offers readers for protected PDFs.

For iOS and Android, when to use the viewer is usefully summed up with the following FAQ (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/information-protection/rms-client/mobile-app-faq#what-can-i-d...:(

"This app lets you view rights-protected email messages (.rpmsg files) if your email app doesn't natively support rights management data protection. This app also lets you view rights-protected PDF files, and pictures and text files that are rights-protected. Currently, you cannot use this app to create new protected email messages, reply to them, or create or edit protected files."

Hope this helps to clarify.