SOLVED

Sensitive emails sent to Teams channel lose the label

Copper Contributor

Hello,

Scenario 1: an email is labelled with sensitivity label e.g. "Confidential" and then emailed from outlook desktop client to a Teams channel (no container label).

Outcome:

• The email is handled by Teams, saved in the channel and therefore in SharePoint.
  • The sensitivity label is not carried into through to SharePoint i.e. the 'Sensitivity' column is blank.
  • If you download the email (.eml file) and open it outlook there is sensitivity label is not applied.

Scenario 2: the same outlook email from scenario is dragged directly into Teams channel from Outlook client to Teams client.

Outcome:

• The email is handled by Teams, saved in the channel and therefore in SharePoint.
  • The sensitivity label is not carried into through to SharePoint i.e. the 'Sensitivity' column is blank.
  • If you download the email (.eml file) and open it outlook the sensitivity label is applied.

Questions:

1. Why does a labelled email lose its sensitivity label when emailed to a channel but not when dragged there?
  2. Why do neither label populate the sensitivity column in Teams/SharePoint?

Any help greatly appreciated.

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Jake Waterer (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Let's put it like this, the "email" functionality in Teams is an ugly hack/workaround, it involves a separate "shadow" tenant that is pretty much a black box to us as "end users", so its likely that the corresponding headers are stripped from the message once it hits said tenant. 

Thanks Vasil. That answers how it works and why it might be challenging for MS to implement. I hope future updates can resolve it.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jake Waterer (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Let's put it like this, the "email" functionality in Teams is an ugly hack/workaround, it involves a separate "shadow" tenant that is pretty much a black box to us as "end users", so its likely that the corresponding headers are stripped from the message once it hits said tenant. 

View solution in original post