Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
SOLVED

Remove the local server from a Hybrid Azure AD Sync

Copper Contributor

Hi,

We have recently taken over a site that has around 15 workstations and Server 2012 R2 with Azure AD Sync. The site manager has requested us to decommission the site and remove the server as soon as possible. Looking at the current configuration the computers are connecting to domain.local rather than AzureAD, does this mean before I can decommission the server I need to take the computer off the local domain and re-add each device to Azure AD or is there a way to do this as part of the server decommission? 

Exchange is already running solely within Office 365 so hopefully I don't need to worry too much about that. All data will be moved from the local server to SharePoint prior to the decommission. 

2 Replies
best response confirmed by sharrison139 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
You are correct, you need to take them off the domain yourselves. This will not go automatically when you decom the server.

@Thijs Lecomte 

Thank you, I assumed as much. Luckily it's only a small site so it's not a massive issue. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by sharrison139 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
You are correct, you need to take them off the domain yourselves. This will not go automatically when you decom the server.

View solution in original post