DLP with policy tips only, no email notifications

Iron Contributor

Can a DLP policy be configured to only display a policy tip but don't send the email notification? At the moment, only a policy with Block with justify and override action works that way. We only want the user to see the policy tip  i.e. there will be no restrict/block action but it appears a policy with this configuration then sends the sender an email immediately which has the potential to annoy a lot of our users.

19 Replies

Did you try "test" mode?

@Gurdev Singh  On  your policy settings, You can create a Rule  --> Actions --> User notification. you can disable the notification for users and set only "Policy Tips"

Prasannaraju_0-1589454992598.png

@PrasannarajuThe way you describe it, doesn't work. Have you tried it? If you disable user notification, then policy tip disappears as well.

@Vasil Michevthanks...Yeah, that's what we are going to try having exhausted all other options. We even considered a dump mailbox to direct all these email notifications. Not sure why designers of DLP didn't consider a requirement where someone just wants to display the policy tip without getting bombarded with unnecessary emails.

----

I have now tested the policy in test mode with show policy tips but no luck emails are still fired. Any other ideas.

Have you performed any more tests?

@Jonas Back  Yes if you turn off email notifications you will not receive Policy Tips from the policy

@Prasannaraju 

This config will not allow you to save the policy rule.image.png

Did you find a way to do this?
I strongly agree that this should be possible
Feature requested to separate user notifications and Policy Tips when configuring DLP policies:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-365-feature-requests/dlp-policy-tips-and-user-notific...

Feel free to up vote and hopefully get it implemented.
I have also created a feature request with the Microsoft to have a separate user notification and Policy Tips in the DLP Policy configuration. However, haven't received a promising response from MS.
That's great news :)

Did this get rolled out?  It still looks like email notifications and policy tips are still coupled in the portal.

@heatha40 works for us. I could re-configure our DLP policy to just show a tip without email notification.

@heatha40 ,

Yes, it's been rolled out. We have successfully implemented the feature & it works fine :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:

That is indeed great news. We will give it a try as well.

Thanks!! I guess I need to look harder or make sure I am in the right portal

I found a screenshot of what it should look like (https://img-prod-cms-rt-microsoft-com.akamaized.net/cms/api/am/imageFileData/RE55Nbq?ver=ea17 ).  My console does not look the same:

Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 10.26.14 AM.png

I figured it out. It doesn't work if you include Locations outside of Exchange or Teams chat and channel messages