Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

Default Retention Labels don't work with move/copy of documents

Iron Contributor

We are investigating the retention label capabilities across Office 365 locations with a number of test cases. We are struggling with this one:

When a default retention label is set on SharePoint Online at the library level, we'd expect that new documents in that library will automatically inherit this label. It works fine for documents that are created or uploaded into that library, but it fails to work for documents that are moved or copied into that library from other places, say OneDrive for Business or other sites via modern UI. Copied/moved documents don't inherit the default label from the library, regardless of whether they have already been labeled in the previous location or not.

Same is true for folders with a retention label. Works well for new/uploaded docs, fails for move/copied documents.

Is it a feature, a bug, a roadmap item?

3 Replies

@Harald Rau did you get anywhere with this issue? I'm having the same issue with one of my customers.

I had opened a premier support ticket which was discussed with the product engineering team. The response I got was:

"It was reiterated that getting the inheritance story aligned between the various workloads and scenarios at some point in the future, is on their table. As agreed, I'll send you an email when this feature will be improved and released, later this year."

We are November 15, and the issue is still there :(

Wondering if @Harald Rau you had another email from Microsoft on this topic ?