Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
SOLVED

Azure RMS License

Copper Contributor

Hi,

We are planning to replace our current AD RMS environment to Azure RMS.  The AD RMS is used to protect or on-premises file server and is my understanding that the Azure RMS have the same capability, but I don’t know which license is required to do it.

Can you guys clear that out for me ?

Thanks, in advanced

4 Replies

Azure Information Protection For Office 365 comes with 'protection for on-premises Exchange and SharePoint content via Rights Management connector'. Supported on-premises servers are listed here. including file servers.

For a comparison with licences and options, check here including the extras you get with Azure Information Protection Premium.  

Azure Information Protection for Office 365 is included in the Office 365 Enterprise E3 and E5 plans. It can also be purchased as a standalone option with some other plans.  The Azure Information Protection licensing datasheet has some more information as well.  Azure Information Protection Premium comes with additionail features like the Azure Information Protection scanner. 

There is lots more technical information here about the connector - Deploying the Azure Rights Management connector

"This connector provides data protection for existing on-premises deployments that use Microsoft Exchange Server, SharePoint Server, or file servers that run Windows Server and File Classification Infrastructure (FCI)."

Thanks for the reply. I read the license table and appears to me that I will need the Azure Information Protection Premium P1 since Azure Information Protection For Office 365 don’t come with the "Rights Management connector with on-premises Windows Server file shares by using the File Classification Infrastructure (FCI) connector"

With the P1 license I will be able to create the polices and profiles on the cloud, That same way I do on the AD-RMS ?

best response confirmed by CassianoAbreu (Copper Contributor)
Solution

That's correct, it does look like Azure Information Protection Premium P1 will be required for the functionality you mentioned.  

I think you might need to consider how to adopt the new solution and the best way to proceed, taking the current infrastructure into account.  Checking the migration option, for example, this looks like a significant piece of work to switch over but provides some continuity.  The deployment roadmap has further instructions on implementing Azure Information Protection and what to expect.

I'll check the migration option. Thanks a lot.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by CassianoAbreu (Copper Contributor)
Solution

That's correct, it does look like Azure Information Protection Premium P1 will be required for the functionality you mentioned.  

I think you might need to consider how to adopt the new solution and the best way to proceed, taking the current infrastructure into account.  Checking the migration option, for example, this looks like a significant piece of work to switch over but provides some continuity.  The deployment roadmap has further instructions on implementing Azure Information Protection and what to expect.

View solution in original post