SSL Certificate for Internal Web Server

Steel Contributor

I need to install an SSL Certificate on our web server running Server 2016. This is an internal web server that hosts some in-house web applications. It does not host any external websites, etc. So far I have Certificate Request complete, now just trying to get the certificate. Any help please, I am a novice when it comes to internal SSLs like this. I have done many SSLs for external websites. Thank you in advance.

6 Replies
You will need to purchase an external SSL certificate from GoDaddy, Network Solutions, etc., which will be just fine for your internal web apps.
If your organization has an internal PKI, then you can submit your request and the certificate will be issued. You should contact your IT team for more info. The request site is: https://<FQDN>/certsrv/

You would then "complete" the certificate request in the web development app (IIS, Tomcat, etc.) where the request was created.

@JRE77 

Thanks for your help, as I am a novice to getting an SSL for an internal server. I believe we have an Internal PKI, as I have self signed certificates now. How would I know for sure if I have an Internal PKI?

You would need to contact your IT department, they would know for sure.

@JRE77 

We are very small company. I handle IT but have never done anything with internal SSLs. Here is what I have setup in IIS

ssl3.png

@JRE77 

I guess plans have changed now. The new task is making my local web server public facing so I can attach an SSL. Is there any easy way to turn my local web server public?

That would be done on your firewall@Tim Hunter