Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

Sensitivity Labels with Azure B2B across different organizations

Brass Contributor

I would like to discuss the behaviour of the setting 'Require users to apply a label to their email or documents'. This is a setting of the label policy. It works well in my own organization, but causes issues on other tenants via Azure B2B. Let me explain:

• We have a requirement to label content (documents and emails) in our organization. We introduced sensitivity labels and published them to users with the option 'Require users to apply a label to their email or documents'. In combination with a default label this works great in our organization.
  • We're working with several other companies by using Azure B2B. We're guests in the tenants of the other organization. When we modify files in the tenant of the other organization, we're prompted to apply label from our organization as the label is mandatory for our users. As result, the document stored in the other organization (e.g. PowerPoint with master of the other organization) has the sensitivity label from our organization. Users from the other organization are not able to remove the label, as they do not have this functionality at all.

Right now we disabled the option 'Require users to apply a label to their email or documents' as this option does not met our expectations in collaboration across organizations. As result, documents in our organisation are likely not labeld any more ...

My expectation is that the setting 'Require users to apply a label to their email or documents' only affects files stored in SharePoint/OneDrive of the same organization. Did someone else experience this issue? Not sure if this is expected behaviour. Probably someone from the product management can step into this discussion.

Thank you for your help!

2 Replies
What’s happening here is that your office client is downloading the label templates from your tenant - since your office clients will be signed into your tenant.

You're right @Ian Moran . My client downloads templates from my organization. In this case the file is stored in different organization via Azure B2B. Labels are mandatory in my organization; I have to label the file with our labels in SharePoint of the other organization. 
I would prefer that labeling is not enforced across tenants.