Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
SOLVED

Sensitivity column in Windows Explorer populated

Brass Contributor

Hi 
Does anybody know when the sensitivity column in Windows explorer will be populated? Currently the only way I see which label is applied to a file is either through AIP unified labeling client, sharepoint document libraries or open a file.

Thanks for a feedback.

Best regards

Philipp

24 Replies

would like to see this too. Any ideas @Nir Hendler ?

best response confirmed by pheeeling (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Wolfgang Bach It's a roadmap item. no specific commitment or timelines we can provide now.

@Nir Hendler we also have a strong business requirement to see the classification of files in the explorer. This would help us to manually classifiy already existing data and also to see if and how other File-Formats like PDFs are classified. The Workaround using the Adobe Plug-Ins for Reader and DC is not really an option just to show the classification.
Is there any update on this "sensitivity column in Explorer" Topic? Timeline?
Can you explain a little bit, what makes it so hard to add this?

Thank you for this feedback @Markus. The ability to label files outside Office apps is done with AIP Client using the "Classify and Protect" component. Using Adobe Reader is designed to consume the file and see the label in addition to that.
I don't have more to share on your 2nd ask at the moment regarding native Windows File Explorer integration. We are looking into it as part of prioritization for other highly anticipated features.

Dear @Nir Hendler

Do you know if there has been any progress made on this request? 

No Update at the moment

@Nir Hendler having a column in the file explorer is critical to the long-term successful adoption of users to sensitivity labels. One drive and its ability to sync libraries to the desktop was critical to our organization's users adopting SharePoint as a file storage location. No amount of training seems to break the user's desire to day-in and day-out use the File Explorer to access their documents. Asking them to use the browser to manage files is met with a lot of resistance. Though they are more than happy to work in Teams and click the sync button in teams.

If sensitivity labels are "hidden" inside the browser view they will be out of sight and out of mind. This will lead to users not using them.

@thetechguru you could use AIP+ Spirion, adds the missing efficiency for config and usage tools like explorer integration.

+1 on this request. I have several clients that have asked about this recently.

May I know the roadmap ID or link, please ?@Nir Hendler 

Any update for this trend?

@Nir Hendler, it is really hard to convince users of information classification as long as the sensitivity column in File Explorer is not populated. Can you foresee when this bug will finally be fixed? 

Regards, Guenther

We understand several customers have been asking for this new feature, but at this time we have no update on this requirement. It's still on the backlog, but currently not on the road map.
Hi Martin, I think that this is really important, this feature is prioritized. we have a lot of users asking about it, this is a simple solution to a great and Next-Gen feature.
I strongly concur - it is an essential function to be able to classify large amounts of existing documents. Especially in combination with other housekeeping efforts it is much easier to use file explorer but without this essential information in one integrated view the user is not able to do this effectively.
Due to the updates to Office and EDGE, there should be no reason for the stand alone MIP client - just the Windows integration - i hope you will move fast forward with this issue and consider (of cours) the explorer sensitivity column :)

by the way - is the sensitivity column issue in sharepoint online solved?

@Lukas Koziel,
I have tested again with the following Versions:
- Office Version 2302 Build 16130.20184
- Windows 10 Enterprise Version 22H2 Build 19045.2604
Result: The sensitivity column in windows explorer is still empty:

Guenther_Heiss_0-1677511624708.png

And also the corresponding column in SharePoint Online is filled only for Office documents. For other supported file types, such as pfd, the display remains empty.
-> Beginning from which versions should the issue be solved?

hi @NirHendler, any news on this? Haven't found any item on the MS Roadmap page. Thank you!
The situation is unchanged, the feature is still on the backlog, but not yet on the roadmap.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by pheeeling (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Wolfgang Bach It's a roadmap item. no specific commitment or timelines we can provide now.

View solution in original post