SOLVED

RMS connector external recipient

Brass Contributor

Hello

In a hybrid environment . Using Azure AD Connect. If i install the RMS connector on-prem, can on-prem users send protected emails to O365 recipients that are in a different org\tenant , and can these users read these emails? trying to understand what is required to allow external users to read an rms  protected email ?

1 Reply
best response confirmed by Trevor_Rusher (Community Manager)
Solution
According to the docs you can use it internally and externally, but I've never used it. The connector is simply a relay to Azure RMS and is used for seamless protection between the on-premises and cloud environment. From a logical point of view, it should be all good when that connection is established.

If you're using the Microsoft Purview encryption feature built on Azure RMS (legacy Office Message Encryption) with Encrypt only and Do not forward, you'll only be able to use mail flow rules from on-premises.

Search the docs for more details around the setup and possibilities.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Trevor_Rusher (Community Manager)
Solution
According to the docs you can use it internally and externally, but I've never used it. The connector is simply a relay to Azure RMS and is used for seamless protection between the on-premises and cloud environment. From a logical point of view, it should be all good when that connection is established.

If you're using the Microsoft Purview encryption feature built on Azure RMS (legacy Office Message Encryption) with Encrypt only and Do not forward, you'll only be able to use mail flow rules from on-premises.

Search the docs for more details around the setup and possibilities.

View solution in original post