Opening encrypted emails via OME app on iOS 10 or 11

Copper Contributor

We are having an issue opening encrypted emails via the OME app on iPhones (tested on iOS 10 and 11).  This issue is independent of using the iOS mail app or the MS Outlook app.

Using these steps for testing:

1. Receive encrypted email. (Email is encrypted using Azure)
  2. Open the message.html attachment.
  3. Select "Copy to OME Viewer" option.
  4. Tap Use a one-time passcode
  5. Open email for one-time passcode
  6. Tap passcode and get redirected back to OME app
  7. Receive the following message, "This passcode is incorrect.  Please use the passcode with the correspoding reference code."

Please note, if you enter the passcode manually into OME Viewer it works perfectly fine.  The issue is that you cannot copy the password because it's a link.  This makes the user have to flip back and forth between the OME Viewer and their email.  This is extremely frustrating for my staff and especially the partners of my company.  This used to work flawlessly and everyone really liked the process, but now it's viewed as cumbersome.

Could someone please let me know if this is a known issue that's being worked on or if there is a work around that I'm not aware of?

Thank you!

-Mark

4 Replies

Hey Mark 

We just recently announced new OME capabilities that don't require users on their mobile device to user the OME app.  Recommend checking this out - we are also doing an AMA if you have further questions on this. 

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Security-Privacy-and-Compliance/Email-Encryption-and-Rights-P...

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365-Encryption-AMA/Announcing-the-Office-365-Encryptio...

Is this going to be available to non-E(level) customers? We are currently in a mixed environment of Business Essentials\Premium with Azure Information Protection Plan 1 on each account. Moving up to E3 would double our monthly cost and we can't afford that at this time.

@Mark Nealley wrote:
Is this going to be available to non-E(level) customers? We are currently in a mixed environment of Business Essentials\Premium with Azure Information Protection Plan 1 on each account. Moving up to E3 would double our monthly cost and we can't afford that at this time.

From here it says you need either: 

• An Office 365 subscription that includes Azure Rights Management as well as Exchange Online or Exchange Online Protection (EOP).
  • An Azure Information Protection subscription and an Office 365 subscription that includes Exchange Online or Exchange Online Protection (EOP).

So I think you'd be ok with what you have and wouldn't need to move to E3 for this, per the second combination.

@Mark Nealley wrote:

We are having an issue opening encrypted emails via the OME app on iPhones (tested on iOS 10 and 11).  This issue is independent of using the iOS mail app or the MS Outlook app.

Using these steps for testing:

1. Receive encrypted email. (Email is encrypted using Azure)
  2. Open the message.html attachment.
  3. Select "Copy to OME Viewer" option.
  4. Tap Use a one-time passcode
  5. Open email for one-time passcode
  6. Tap passcode and get redirected back to OME app
  7. Receive the following message, "This passcode is incorrect.  Please use the passcode with the correspoding reference code."

Please note, if you enter the passcode manually into OME Viewer it works perfectly fine.  The issue is that you cannot copy the password because it's a link.  This makes the user have to flip back and forth between the OME Viewer and their email.  This is extremely frustrating for my staff and especially the partners of my company.  This used to work flawlessly and everyone really liked the process, but now it's viewed as cumbersome.

Could someone please let me know if this is a known issue that's being worked on or if there is a work around that I'm not aware of?

Thank you!

-Mark

@Caroline ShinAs an organisation we are having the same issue, when clicking on the OTP pass code and going back to the OME viewer it is telling the user that the pass code is invalid. We cannot currently move over to 'OME v2' as we are awaiting the development of the encrypt only template.

Please advise if this is a documented issue..

Regards

Dominic