Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

Is it possible to have subject line appended with [SEC=CLASSIFIED], when email marked classified?

Brass Contributor

Hello Folks,

I`ve tried checking on my personal office365 tenant but no good.

Any pointer will help.

9 Replies

No, as there is no transport rule condition to detect classifications. Well, there is, but that applies to Exchange message classification, not AIP. So you're left with using conditions such as "header contains" and matching those against the AIP label, for example:

msip_labels: MSIP_Label_0e421e6d-ea17-4fdb-8f01-93a3e71333b8_Enabled=True;

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/information-protection/rms-client/client-admin-guide-customiz...

Thanks Vasil.....

I have gone through the document.

Few questions:

a) Subject Line append with the Classification details, it is possible via Exchange Transports.

Wherein Transport service to check for the message header and update the subject line.

b) If above is yes, not sure if one can perform Transport customization on Exchange Online?

You can only prepend a "static" string, not the actual classification/label if that's what you mean.

Yes, what I`m looking for:

- [SEC:ClassificationType] at the end of the subject line.

- Can Exchange online message transport add the appropriate classification type based on the message header of the email?

Nope. But if I remember correctly, one of the sessions at Ignite showcased a "add to subject" action for labels, so that might be coming soon.

I guess you`re referring to this session - 

THR3051 - Outlook on the web: Don’t block your users, restrict them with conditional access/limited access!

https://myignite.techcommunity.microsoft.com/sessions/66124?source=TechCommunity#ignite-html-anchor

@Vasil Michev

I`ve performed a deep level of research and able to stamp email using the Exchnage online Transport rule on emails that have the defined MSIP value.

However, based on further testing observed that email marked with the correct AIP label now are showing a different MSIP value.

This is confusion and would like to know if you are aware that the MSIP value can change for an AIP Label?

@Vasil Michev

I`ve performed a deep level of research and able to stamp email using the Exchnage online Transport rule on emails that have the defined MSIP value.

However, based on further testing observed that email marked with the correct AIP label now are showing a different MSIP value.

This is confusion and would like to know if you are aware that the MSIP value can change for an AIP Label?

No, I'm not aware of such cases. You can always open a support ticket and ask Microsoft directly.