Intune, WIP, and Conditional Access Licences

Occasional Contributor

Hi All,


I need to know what Office 365 licenses are required to setup Intune, Windows Information Protection (WIP), and Conditional Access. We currently have Enterprise E3 licenses.


When I look at one website it shows the E3 license is sufficient but on another site is shows Enterprise Mobility + Security E3 is required


Please let me know what is required.


2 Replies

Hi Alan,


E3 mentioned on below link is Microsoft 365 E3. Microsoft 365 E3 and Microsoft Office 365 E3 are two different offerings.


If you have Microsoft Office 365 E3 then you need to have Enterprise Mobility + Security E3 .

Pretty sure its not relevant to @Alan Kelly anymore, but I stumbled across through search, so maybe for future readers a short foray into MS Licensing (as of Jan 2020 ;):(


Microsoft 365 includes:

- Office 365

- Enterprise Mobility and Security (EMS)

- Windows


- Conditional Access: is part of Azure Premium P1 which is included in EMS. 

- Intune is also part of EMS

- WIP is a Windows Feature but it can be configured from either Intune or ConfigMgr. 


Hope this helps.