Exchange Retention Policy and Information Governance Policies

Copper Contributor

Is the exchange online ECP moonlighting the email retention and moving to information governance. I noticed that the new exchange portal does not show email retention and there are several notifications about being bale to use the retention under the compliance section. I mostly ask because we made some changes and we not seeing them take affect in exchange and its been over 7 days. Looking at the information governance settings i can do some of our rules but not all. We had an option to apply different retention settings to inbox, sent, deleted but it now seems to apply to the entire mailbox. Should we continue to use the settings within exchange or come up with a new plan and use the settings under information governance? Also does will that apply to an online archive?

2 Replies
The new EAC is still a work in progress, even though it reached GA status a while back. But that's the new and improved cloud model, where GA means meeting Microsoft's needs, not the customer's :)

On a more serious note, good old Exchange-style retention is still supported and should work as expected. Going forward, Microsoft is indeed pushing for the new "unified" retention stack, which does have some obvious benefits. But on the other side, it misses some of the workload-specific features we're accustomed with in Exchange. I doubt they will pull the plug until those use cases are addressed, and if you find the need for old-style Exchange retention policies/tags, just keep using htem.