Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
SOLVED

DLP Policy Tips in Office Clients

MVP

According to the TechNet Overview of Office 365 DLP for SharePoint and OneDrive the Office Clients, like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, should surface a Policy tip during document creation or editing.  According to the documentation this should happen in Real Time in the client during editing.  I've got DLP policies that are firing on Documents stored in SharePoint and OneDrive.  So I know the DLP policy is working.  But the Policy Tips are NOT showing in the Office clients.  I'm on Office 2016 Click to Run.  Any ideas on why the Policy Tips aren't showing?

3 Replies

It might take a while for the desktop apps, as they need to download the policy definition files. Check under %USERPROFILE%\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Office\DLP

best response
Solution

I tracked down the issue.  Its because this laptop is a BYOD device that isn't joined to an Office 365 synced Domain.  So I'm logging into the operating system with a Microsoft Account.  So the User Profile in AppData doesn't know to download the Office 365 Domain policies.  I've tested it on a VM joined to the Domain and there the Policies were synced within 24 hours.

I'm having issues with policy tips showing on domain joined machines, is there a way to see if the machines are synced with O365?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

I tracked down the issue.  Its because this laptop is a BYOD device that isn't joined to an Office 365 synced Domain.  So I'm logging into the operating system with a Microsoft Account.  So the User Profile in AppData doesn't know to download the Office 365 Domain policies.  I've tested it on a VM joined to the Domain and there the Policies were synced within 24 hours.

View solution in original post