Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
SOLVED

AIP and SCC sensivity label feature parity

Brass Contributor

I watched the recent AIP Webinars and i have a couple of questions on AIP and SCC feature parity:

- languages: does SCC provide or will provide the same XML file- based language feature and is this migrated when the labels are migrated from AIP to SCC Labels

- Protection Activation in AIP: Do I need to turn this on, before i can use protection in the SCC

- "Remove Protection" as a Label Settings in AIP: Do i have this in SCC? Is this migrated to SCC

- "Advanced Settings" in the policies - is this available in SCC?

Global Policy in AIP- what happened to the Global Policy in the SCC, do i Just configured this myself?

one additional question:

I can change the order of policies by moving policies up and down. What does the order determine?

Thanks,
Franck

4 Replies

@Franck Marteaux 

@Enrique Saggese: Is this something you can help with? 

best response confirmed by Franck Marteaux (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi, @Franck Marteaux. Responses below:

- languages: does SCC provide or will provide the same XML file- based language feature and is this migrated when the labels are migrated from AIP to SCC Labels

This is planned, but no defined ETA yet. 

- Protection Activation in AIP: Do I need to turn this on, before i can use protection in the SCC

Yes, if you want to use protection in the SCC labels. The protection service is the same for SCC and the classic AIP portal. That said, protection is activated by default in all new tenants and all existing tenants that didn't explicitly request not having it activated. 

- "Remove Protection" as a Label Settings in AIP: Do i have this in SCC? Is this migrated to SCC

This option is not yet available in SCC. If a label with this setting is migrated to SCC, clients will remove protection applied by another label, but not independently applied protection. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/information-protection/configure-policy-migrate-labels#consid....

Not at this point. Some of the functionality available today via Advanced Settings will be provided via PowerShell, but the details are not available at this point and none of the current settings are implemented in the current Unified Labeling clients. 

Global Policy in AIP- what happened to the Global Policy in the SCC, do i Just configured this myself?

At this point, you have to configure all policies in SCC independently, including the Global Policy. In the near future we'll add an option to migrate policies from AIP into SCC.

WRT label order, the order dictates two things:

1) the order in which they will be displayed in the UI. 

2) The relative sensitivity. Lower labels indicate higher sensitivity. This is important since AIP will never lower the sensitivity of a document on its own (e.g. via automatic classification) but it will increase the sensitivity as appropriate. Also, users may be required to justify lowering the sensitivity of a document, but not when increasing it. So order of labels is very important to the functional aspects of the classification taxonomy. 

Just want to raise my hand that the language option for "Unified Labels" is also important for us for a global rollout / migration from AIP. For example, Canada requires by law to include French.

I played around with IPPS PS and "New-Label" / "Set-Label", but even e.g. "Get-Help set-label" doesn't contain further / updated information (broken links).

Cheers,

Martin

@MartinZoller 

We fully agree and are diligently working on multi-language support. No official dates yet but will come in the next few months. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Franck Marteaux (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi, @Franck Marteaux. Responses below:

This is planned, but no defined ETA yet. 

Yes, if you want to use protection in the SCC labels. The protection service is the same for SCC and the classic AIP portal. That said, protection is activated by default in all new tenants and all existing tenants that didn't explicitly request not having it activated. 

This option is not yet available in SCC. If a label with this setting is migrated to SCC, clients will remove protection applied by another label, but not independently applied protection. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/information-protection/configure-policy-migrate-labels#consid....

Not at this point. Some of the functionality available today via Advanced Settings will be provided via PowerShell, but the details are not available at this point and none of the current settings are implemented in the current Unified Labeling clients. 

At this point, you have to configure all policies in SCC independently, including the Global Policy. In the near future we'll add an option to migrate policies from AIP into SCC.

WRT label order, the order dictates two things:

1) the order in which they will be displayed in the UI. 

2) The relative sensitivity. Lower labels indicate higher sensitivity. This is important since AIP will never lower the sensitivity of a document on its own (e.g. via automatic classification) but it will increase the sensitivity as appropriate. Also, users may be required to justify lowering the sensitivity of a document, but not when increasing it. So order of labels is very important to the functional aspects of the classification taxonomy. 

View solution in original post