AIP and CSV files?

Brass Contributor

Hi,

How does AIP handle CSV files?

Looking at this article, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/information-protection/rms-client/clientv2-admin-guide-file-t... it says CSV file are supported for inspection...so what does that mean in relation to Classification and Labeling?

Also, the article doesn't mention that ".CSV" files get renamed to ".PFile" after AIP Protection (which it does as I have just tested it).

So if I right-click a CSV file, select "Classify and Protect", I get this option:

AIPCSV.PNG

What is meant by "Generic Encryption"? Why can we not see the usual Permissions in the 'Select Permission' drop-down?

So its confusing, but do CSV files get protected or not via AIP?

Thanks

2 Replies

@ShimKwan 

Below is the list of file types which are supported for protection : (File types supported by the Azure Information Protection (AIP) unified labeling client | Microsoft L...)

.doc

.docm

.docx

.dot

.dotm

.dotx

.potm

.potx

.pps

.ppsm

.ppsx

.ppt

.pptm

.pptx

.vsdm

.vsdx

.vssm

.vssx

.vstm

.vstx

.xls

.xlsb

.xlt

.xlsm

.xlsx

.xltm

.xltx

.xps

When Encryption enabled labels are used on the supported office file types it is called as native encryption and can be read by the AIP client directly without additional permissions to the intended users, but if the encryption is applied on the other file types AIP would create .p file which is called as generic encryption, for any generic encrypted file you would need to provide additional Export permission without which the intended user will not be able to consume the file.

files would be created like mentioned below : 

Original file name extension Protected file name extension
.bmp .pbmp
.gif .pgif
.jfif .pjfif
.jpe .pjpe
.jpeg .pjpeg
.jpg .pjpg
.jt .pjt
.png .ppng
.tif .ptif
.tiff .ptiff
.txt .ptxt
.xla .pxla
.xlam .pxlam
.xml .pxml

Do not hesitate to raise a case if you need further assistance on the issue

Thank you @Tejabudamagunta

I assume this encryption will work in the same way even without the AIP Unified Labeling Client (that has been placed into 'Maintenance Mode')

Cheers