SDS Error: Azure AD Directory Size Exceeded

Brass Contributor

Hi!

We have an error on SDS repeating multiple times.

• the EntryType is ”SchoolStudents”
  • the ErrorCode is AzureActiveDirectoryResourceSizeExceeded” and
  • the ErrorMessage is ”The size of the object has exceeded its limit. Please reduce the number of values and retry your request.”

Does this mean that we have exceeded the number of students in SDS? What is the maximum number of students? Is there a way to debug these through Graph API?

-Jarkko-

3 Replies
Apologies for the delayed response. I set up this community in anticipation of our launch this week, and did a poor job checking it since I had not promoted it yet. I will be much more active going forward, and will promote this community among current School Data Sync users as well. To answer your question, there are a few possibilities going on here. The most likely scenario is if you previously deployed SDS when it was still in preview, SDS used to create AU’s for each section, and now you are exceeding the limit on number of AUs a single user can be joined to. The limit is 30 AUs per user. To fix it, you need to clear out the old AUs that are not needed. Our onboarding team has worked with other companies to accomplish this. If you worked with our onboarding team to deploy SDS, please reach back out to your contact there. If you did not, or do not remember, or if this is not your issue, please reply to me here and I will follow up to get your answer. Thank you, Matt McGinnis

Thank you for the reply. After migrating to Microsoft Teams, we are getting the same error message (AzureActiveDirectoryResourceSizeExceeded). This seems to affect our TeacherRoster so that not all the teachers listed in the TeacherRoster file are added to SDS. I tried to contact support but got no reply.

Are you getting SDS errors either when the files are validated / uploaded or when SDS syncs?  

My expert sources think the max number of AUs a person is a member of seems likely. Here is what they recommend:

They should run a get-msoladministrativeunit to see if they created AUs for sections before that functionality changed in SDS. If they did, they'll want to clear those AUs out of their directory. That's the most common cause of people hitting this limit. They could also have a teacher or admin that is intentionally scoped to all schools in the district, which will cause the same issue, once they hit the 30 limit.

Here's a link to more details on AAD limits

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/active-directory-service-limits-restrictions

A maximum of 100 users can be owners of a single group.

An object can be a member of no more than 30 administrative units.

Do let me know how it goes and if this solves your problem.