Lookup table command use.

Copper Contributor

I am out of my depth.  

I have a POS system with thousands of names and email addresses and several thousand have asked to unsubscribe from our newsletter list.  I could go into our POS system and one at a time remove email addresses.  It would take days.  Or I think I can do it in Excel using Lookup but I'm not certain how..

I have created three columns , customer name, Customer ID and email address of all our customers, on the same spread sheet I have created customer name and email address of all customers wanting to unsubscribe in other columns of the same sheet.  I need to have the unsubscribe customers names matched to the POS database customer names and then have the no data email address overwrite the existing email address.

3 Replies

@Lous_Performance_Centr Identifying customer names / ID's based on the mail addresses for those who wish to unsubscribe is fairly easy. With a simple VLOOKUP (demonstrated in the attached workbook) you can flag all customers that occur in the list to be unsubscribed. Then filter the the ones flagged and you have your list. How to feed that information back into your POS system is another issue and not really Excel related.

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

Thank you for your help Riny.  I did some reading before I contacted the group and was lead to believe the INDEX command may work a little more easily.  This is the command I’ve written =INDEX($L$2:$L$10348, MATCH($C2, $K$2:$K$10348, 0) ) but It doesn’t work.  However I can’t see what is wrong 

Column L has "email" as a name and has no email addresses in it.    Column C is the concatenated first and last names of all our customers, column K is the concatenated first and last names of everyone that wants their email addresses removed. So I am trying to have the two columns compared and then blank data from column L written into the data from all our customers where names are found in each set column C and column K.

You are correct getting the information back into our POS is separate.  

Can you help?  I can’t understand what is wrong with what I’ve written.

@Lous_Performance_Centr Revised my earlier file, believing it does exactly what you describe. Still a simple VLOOKUP, creating a listing (shaded green in the example) that you can then copy and paste as values on top of the old e-mail column.