03-30-2019 02:01 PM
03-30-2019 02:01 PM
I recently got a new smartphone, an Alcatel 3V (I'm disabled and poor so can't afford the premium brands). After trying and rapidly discarding a number of launchers, I settled on comparing three - the OEM launcher (Alcatel Joy launcher, but cut right down from the Joy Launcher I was used to on an older Alcatel - this one has NO settings at all), Nova launcher and the Microsoft Launcher. According to all the reviews I should most like Nova Launcher, but actually I like the Microsoft launcher a lot ... except for two issues I have with Microsoft Launcher, which at the moment are keeping me flipping back and forth between them. One issue is aesthetic, which I'll post about in the Ideas section, but the other is very much a problem with functionality with respect to Microsoft Launcher responding - or not - to basic gestures.
Three things I'm finding problems with:
1) When swiping sideways to move between homescreens, Microsoft Launcher is very often interpreting my swipe as up or down, and carrying out whatever is configured for up or down swipe, if my swipe is even just fractionally up or down ,,, just a degree or two off absolutely horizontal. I've managed to work around this by configuring the up and down swipe gestures to nothing - but I shouldn't have to. The launcher really should be discriminating better and shouldn't be interpreting a gesture as up or down when it is almost entirely horizontal with just a fraction of slight up or down.
2) Many times I tap on a homescreen icon or on an icon in the launcher settings, and nothing happens. Many, many times I have to tap repeatedly before Microsoft launcher decides to register it and carry out the action. And then some of the time I'll tap and it will carry out the long press action instead. It's very frustrating.
3) And notwithstanding the launcher quite often carrying out the long press action when I just tapped, VERY often when I actually try to long press it either does nothing when I release the press, or even worse, especially when I have held the press, nothing happens until I release it but when I release (after maybe holding the press for a second or two) it then carries out the tap action instead.
And here's the thing: I do not believe this is just my way of tapping, swiping and pressing (or the phone) because I have no problems at all tapping, swiping and pressing the homescreens or launcher settings with the OEM launcher, or Nova Launcher, or any of about half a dozen other launchers I briefly installed but then removed as I didn't like them for other reasons.
And basically this is a real fundamental problem for me deciding to go to Microsoft Launcher full time. No matter any other issues, no matter whether it is otherwise my perfect launcher, if it won't reliably respond to my taps, swipes and long presses it's just going to be too frustrating to use.
Now, when I first installed it some days ago it was REALLY bad. A day later, just as I was about to uninstall it, a new beta was released and I found it was significantly better than it had been ... but still not good enough. And there's been one more beta since, but that didn't change this for better or worse. I guess I'd like to know if the developers are aware of problems in this area and are working on them. If they are, then I'll stick with them a bit. If not ... well, I'd better choose another launcher for now and maybe come back and look at this one in a few months or whenever.
03-30-2019 11:31 PM
03-31-2019 12:21 PM - edited 03-31-2019 12:28 PM
I am having poor gesture response also.
1. When I tap-hold on an icon on a Home Screen, the context sensitive menu either:
2. Folder Sorting has become unusable.
04-02-2019 03:10 PM
While looking at options going forward, today I tried switching to Nova Launcher while installing the separate Cortana app. While the Nova Launcher, like the OEM one, responds fine to my gestures - taps, presses and swipes - unlike Microsoft Launcher, within the Cortana app I get poor response to taps, presses and swipes just like with Microsoft Launcher. It's looking more like a general poor gesture response in Microsoft apps, not just a Microsoft Launcher issue.
Also, I thought this was a place where the actual Launcher devs chipped in. Is that not so? I'd very much like to know if the gesture response problems I'm seeing are a recognized, known problem that is being worked on, with improvements coming if incrementally, or not. If I don't know it's a problem recognized and being worked on ... well, I'm liable to switch to Nova. And if I switch to Nova properly, not just quick comparisons, I'll be buying the Pro version. And if I buy it, then I'm just going to figure I should stay with and use it.