Increased Winsxs Size Issue Caused By DISM CheckHealth/RestoreHealth

Regular Visitor

Hello All,

I have just encountered a strange issue whilst performing a monthly disk check-up on my 256GB SSD drive as I usually perform "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth" and "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" as to ensure everything is running optimally.

However, from today and a recent windows update [2021-12 Windows 10 - 21H2 - KB5008212] then I have noticed strange behaviour and correlation with the physical size of the Winsxs folder and "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth" and "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth":

After I attempted both these scans then I noticed that the amount of used space for my SSD significantly increased by approximately 1GB and through the utilisation of Treesize it was identified that the size of the Winsxs folder jumped from 6.3GB to 7.3GB from the scans alone.

Another test was conducted as to correlate if the DISM scans were responsible on bloating the Winsxs folder and after the CheckHealth scan was conducted then the Winsxs folder was further bloated by 500MB:

Treesize has identified that a majority of the bloating resides in the Temp/InFlight folder of Winsxs.

William524_0-1639763441805.png

I have tried to debloat the Winsxs after noticing this issue via the utilisation of startcomponentcleanup and ResetBase but it did not seem to have any effect.

I understand that these are the only two safe means to reduce the Winsxs file size but due to the strange behaviour the CheckHealth/RestoreHealth scans caused then I am lead to believe that this is not normal behaviour and could be a result of a critical issue caused by a windows update [2021-12 Windows 10 - 21H2 - KB5008212]

Any guidance, experiences or feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

William

0 Replies