HDMI monitor is read incorrectly when plugged through a switch

Occasional Visitor

I'm using a switch of this kind to connect USB devices and one HDMI monitor on two computers and be able to switch between which computer has access to them.

The connected computers are a Windows 10 laptop and a Windows 11 laptop.

The USB devices work on both as expected, and the HDMI monitor works on the Win10 laptop, but to make the monitor work on the Win11 laptop, I have to connect it directly to the laptop: if I connect it to the switch instead, weird behaviour ensues.

Namely, if the monitor is connected through the switch, when the switch is not pointing to the Win11 laptop, all devices including the monitor are not detected, however, if the switch does point to the Win11 laptop, the monitor is detected by Windows (which then expands the desktop to it) but the screen does not receive any signal, and so quickly turns off.

This does not happen with the Win10 laptop, and I've gone to lengths to try and rule out other factors such as cabling or individual HDMI ports not working (through a USB-C dock, which adds an HDMI port, for example, the monitor works perfectly well), so *if* the issue is due to the operating system, it could be a bug with hardware devices.

I will also try to contact the switch's seller or exchange it for a different one, but just in case it is due to the OS, what can I do to solve or at least try to pinpoint the problem more accurately?

0 Replies