SOLVED

Chinese Input (ChangJie)

New Contributor

Hello there. Just upgrade to windows 11. Immediately encountered a very trivial bug while using the chinese keyboard, in particular the ChangJie one.

I have tried several times but there is no way to select between different Chinese characters which share the same ChangJie code, for example 什 午 / 未 宋 /久 欠 /顥 顯, and now I can stuck with the character whoever come first in the system's mind.

9 Replies

@EvanLau 

"Use the Add a language feature to install another language for Windows 11 to view menus, dialog boxes, and supported apps and websites in that language." -> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/language-packs-for-windows-a5094319-a92d-18de-5b53-1cfc6...

Chinese (Traditional, Hong Kong SAR) - zh-HK - Note: No longer used. See zh-TW.

Chinese (Simplified, China) - zh-CN

Chinese (Traditional, Taiwan) - zh-TW

Language Packs -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/available-language-packs-for-w...

1.) Chinese (Simplified) - zh-Hans

2.) Chinese (Simplified) - zh

3.) Chinese (Simplified) - zh-CN - People's Republic of China

4.) Chinese (Simplified) - zh-SG - Singapore

5.) Chinese (Traditional) - zh-Hant

6.) Chinese (Traditional) - zh-HK - Hong Kong S.A.R.

7.) Chinese (Traditional) - zh-MO - Macao S.A.R.

8.) Chinese (Traditional) - zh-TW - Taiwan

Page #35 -> [MS-LCID]: Windows Language Code Identifier (LCID) Reference -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/openspecs/windows_protocols/ms-lcid/70feba9f-294e-491e-b6eb-5653268...

@Mousefluff 

that was just not answering my question. But I do find a way to go back to use the previous version in the Keyboard option. So I consider the problem is temporarily fixed.

@EvanLau 

"Default Input Profiles (Input Locales) in Windows" -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/default-input-locales-for-wind...

Keyboard                                                                     Keyboard identifier (hexadecimal)
Chinese (Simplified) - US Keyboard                            0x00000804
Chinese (Traditional) - US Keyboard                           0x00000404
Chinese (Traditional, Hong Kong S.A.R.)                     0x00000c04
Chinese (Traditional Macao S.A.R.) US Keyboard        0x00001404
Chinese (Simplified, Singapore) - US keyboard          0x00001004

Keyboard identifiers -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-language-pack-default-...

Language/Region + Input profile (Language and keyboard pair)

Language/Region -> Chinese (Simplified, China)

Input profile -> zh-CN: Microsoft Pinyin - Simple Fast (0804:{81D4E9C9-1D3B-41BC-9E6C-4B40BF79E35E}{FA550B04-5AD7-411f-A5AC-CA038EC515D7})

Language/Region -> Chinese (Traditional, Taiwan)
Input profile -> zh-TW: Chinese (Traditional) - New Phonetic (0404:{B115690A-EA02-48D5-A231-E3578D2FDF80}{B2F9C502-1742-11D4-9790-0080C882687E})

Language/Region -> Chinese (Traditional DaYi)
Input profile -> 0404:{E429B25A-E5D3-4D1F-9BE3-0C608477E3A1}{037B2C25-480C-4D7F-B027-D6CA6B69788A}

Language/Region -> Chinese (Wubi)
Input profile -> 0804:{6a498709-e00b-4c45-a018-8f9e4081ae40}{82590C13-F4DD-44f4-BA1D-8667246FDF8E}

Language/Region -> Chinese (Yi)
Input profile -> ii-CN: Yi Input Method(0478:{E429B25A-E5D3-4D1F-9BE3-0C608477E3A1}{409C8376-007B-4357-AE8E-26316EE3FB0D})

Input Method Editors -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-language-pack-default-...

@EvanLau 

I just posted all the Chinese language codes for EVERY aspect of Windows 11 (including word processing,) so you KNOW what to select and are not confused (although I'm not fluent in these languages.) What I would suggest is running this to verify there are no conflicts with multi-language components or sub-components / executables / assemblies / DLLs, etc.

DISM and SFC can recognize which components are from the wrong operating system version / edition, and replace them with the correct ones, especially if it's somehow in the wrong language, for whatever reason. THAT DOES actually happen (which can mess up everything. Not entirely sure that's the case, but after you run this, then any new problem you encountered would most likely be a SIMPLE configuration issue.)

1.) Start Powershell -> Start Menu -> Run -> taskmgr -> File -> Run new Task -> %SystemRoot%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -> Select "Create this task with administrative privileges." -> Click OK.

2.) Copy/paste this into Powershell:

Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope LocalMachine -Force
DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth;
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase;
./SFC /SCANNOW;

3.) Run Windows Update

4.) Finalize the patches / updates / verify integrity of the image (Copy/paste this below)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase;
./SFC /SCANNOW;

@EvanLau

It is actually quite complex due to all the different possible combinations available for Chinese speakers. The Base operating system could be Chinese (Traditional: zh-TW, Simplified: zh-CN,) with language packs on top of it to further customize it. In theory you COULD have the English ISO image (en-US, any other variant of English,) or another language of choice, WITH the Chinese language packs installed on top of that (not that easy to fix.) I mean you can specify generic command line parameters, but you don't really know which index of the ISO image is relevant to this install (without knowing ahead of time what was installed to begin with.)

The Chinese ISO Images of Windows 11 ONLY have 5 variants for whatever reasons (which is very different in comparison to the English ISO, which has 11 indexes. If you select the wrong index it will mess up the entire operating system and you have to start over.) There is no simple solution anyways, aside from just using DISM / SFC, and various options in the Settings UI...

UILang: default system user interface (UI) language

SysUILang: System Preferred UI Language

UILangFallBack: Fallback default language for the system UI (only used with partially localized languages.)

"DISM Languages and International Servicing Command-Line Options" -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/dism-languages-and-internation...

@Mousefluff 

While I am much appreciated your detailed response, I genuinely think you did not actually understand my question.

My question is, for a very particular input method editor introduced in Windows 11 (ChangJie for Windows 11 that is), the prompt window has been missing entirely such that there is impossible to input certain Chinese character that has duplicated input code with other characters.

Unlike the IME of most other language in the world that uses alphabet, the Chinese IME relies heavily on prompt window because there is a lot of cases that the same input code would be associated to different unique characters and you would know that is totally unavoidable to use prompt windows while inputting Chinese if you are familiar with the language.

Besides the prompt for the IME is missing, I cannot see there are any other issues that goes to the UI or other general perspectives within the OS. (By the way, I have been using an English ISO and have Traditional Chinese Language pack installed.) So I believe that is just the problem of the IME (again, the ChangJie for Windows 11 that is). 

Also, as I have previously said, after I switched back to the ChangJie used by Windows 10, the prompt is back and everything is fine again.

@EvanLau 

You may not realize this, but the WHOLE reason that EVEN WORKS in Windows, is because all the dependencies play nice with each other, and they follow the same format. All DISM will do in those above commands, with SFC, is just remove superseded components, and purge corrupted entries, as well as the Windows Update cache. At that point when you update, it's not going to reinstall the same app again? You can understand right? That you're not supposed to have some sort of hodgepodge of all these different operating system versions for one particular app (I'm not talking about you reverting it back to a previous version, anyone can do that, and EVERYONE has had problems like this, not just with snip and sketch, etc.)

It needs the language codes to KNOW what to install. If all the files for one particular feature, all have random language codes, they're not arranged based on it being a system language, primary or secondary, etc... NOTHING will work (you can verify this in CBS.log if you want. If it's not a problem you move onto the next step.) I'm not saying that happens in all cases, but it's a good first step (I've had this happen a lot with previous versions of windows, language mixups.) At least getting to that point, you can start to configure the OS properly. The operating system isn't "smart" per se, it just follows a set of rules, that are roughly the same for ALL other language packs, other than these XML files dictating the install process (based on assemblies gathered and re-arranged as they are installed, from these cabinet / MSU files.)

Only a few ways it can go wrong. There is another issue with all the apps in general that is based on an expired certificate (given these are all code signed.) So you have to actually purge obsolete components from Windows 11 (some may be leftovers from Windows 10,) get everything in order for Windows Update (which at that point you can install patches and App updates that fix a lot of the problems.)

The next step at this point would be to configure the app so it works properly, either to reset or repair it, and then make changes to its configuration so it can produce the intended / desired result. It is a long and convoluted process that can be simplified via Powershell or the command line. I can understand why you would approach it from the opposite direction, and that's just to save yourself time. I'm sure that works too, despite the fact that it probably could be worked out like any other app-related issue at this point (invalid AUMID entries due to a missing DACL, you can Google this even, not a hoax or something, expired certificates for signed code, etc, which most of these things can be solved via Powershell.)

"Chinese IME relies heavily on prompt window because there is a lot of cases that the same input code would be associated to different unique characters"

I'm familiar with the 4000+ or so characters within this system, but also Japanese and Korean characters, but like I said I am not fluent in Cantonese or Mandarin either (I know exactly what you're talking about, but this is literally just about the app being dysfunctional.) It's just a big exercise to find all the right language codes, so everything is on track when DISM / the servicing stack goes to fetch replacement files, or SFC will remove corrupt / missing files and download new ones from Windows Update. I don't want to explain it that much (though it's obvious as to why it's a cookie cutter process.) To actually get it to work is another thing, because you have so many languages that rely on functions like this, multiple ideogram scripts, within a particular geographic region, ie in Japan you'd have Kanji, Romanji, hiragana, katakana, etc. Even Google Search would tell you this. I mean Kanji is only one that is relative to anything you are trying to achieve here (I'm not very familiar with the wade-gilles vs Pinyin system, Chinese scripts in general, based on my exposure to Japanese and Korean ones, but still not being an Asian person, to me it's just obvious what has to be done. I have rudimentary understanding due to my exposure to Chinese literature / scripture, as an outsider, but like I said I am not fluent in this one language.) In other countries, like India, you could have probably around 22 different languages, and they all use various combinations of one range of typefaces. It's supported by this base script, which addons provide features to expand it. I mean I don't use it enough that I have to know every aspect about maintaining the integrity and nuance of the language (this is preserved just by selecting the right version of the file, and using the correct language codes. At that point you just focus on configuring the app. Any other solution is somewhat like a cart-before-the-horse approach.)

@EvanLau

You basically have to use DISM / SFC to clean up the image, and then apply updates, provided you have selected the right language codes (which may ALSO involve repairing or resetting the apps.)

"Also, as I have previously said, after I switched back to the ChangJie used by Windows 10, the prompt is back and everything is fine again."

"Starting on November 1, 2021, some users might be unable to open or use certain built-in Windows apps or parts of some built-in apps. This is caused by an issue with a Microsoft digital certificate, which expired October 31, 2021.

The following applications might be affected:

Snipping Tool
Accounts page and landing page in the Settings app (S mode only)
Touch Keyboard, Voice Typing, and Emoji Panel
Input Method Editor user interface (IME UI)
Getting started and Tips

To mitigate the following issues, install KB5006746 released October 21, 2021. For instructions on how to do this, please see Update Windows:

Touch Keyboard, Voice Typing and Emoji Panel

Input Method Editor user interface (IME UI)

Getting started and Tips"

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-11-21h2#issue-detailshttps://...

It reminds me of this actually:

"He asked Ling Yun 'What is the big idea of the Buddhist teaching?'

"Ling Yung said, 'Before the business with the donkey is over with, a problem comes up with the horse.'"

https://terebess.hu/zen/Blue-Cliff.pdf#page=621

best response confirmed by EvanLau (New Contributor)
Solution

A simply update for any one who got the same issue and switch back to old IME like I did:
The issue miraculously solved by itself, the prompt is back. I never do anything suggested by another contributor in this thread, but I do had have filled in the feedback dialog when I toggled the compatibility options under the keyboard setting few days ago.
So I guess, thanks Microsoft?