Planner Notification for Task Assignment

Brass Contributor

I was wondering why in the GCC Planner app the option to receive a notification (email, Teams, mobile push) when "someone assigns a task to me" is not available?  And when might we expect to see that feature arrive?  It would be really nice to have this capability as I'm managing many projects in Planner, but I have to manually notify people when I assign them a task.  Thanks.

11 Replies
*following - several users have asked me about this same thing. PMs looking to use Planner (instead of Trello) want to be able to notify others when a task is assigned.

HI@Adam Osterrieder - we're seeing it available in the GCC Planner now, but it doesn't actually send any notifications. We've had to manually build them with Power Automate. Curious if anyone in this community can shed some light. I don't see any reference to it on the roadmap.

@Kelly_Edinger I can confirm that I have the checkboxes but that they don't work.

@Kelly_Edinger Can you elaborate on how you're using Power Automate for this?  Is it through Teams?  Or the Planner web app?

Hi @scoleman89- from Power Automate, create a new Flow where the trigger is 'when a task is assigned to me' and add an action for Outlook to send an email.

@Kelly_Edinger Thanks!  Is there any way to do this on an org-wide level, or would each individual user need to customize the Flow to include their email?

Hi @scoleman89 - my apologies, I should have started with that one. Yes, in the GCC flavor of Power Automate, there is a trigger for 'when a task is created' then you just need to add the action to send an email to the assignee.

@Kelly_Edinger Thanks!  I appreciate you taking the time to explain.  I've worked out how to do that, but it looks like it would still require making a new Flow for every Planner plan.  Do you think it would be possible to set this up so that it would apply to any plan existing in the org (current or future)?

Hi @scoleman89- you would need to set it up for each Plan. I would have hoped this would be basic functionality in GCC like it is in commercial, but I don't even see it on the roadmap.

@Kelly_Edinger  if you haven't done so already, be sure to go to the End User Forum and vote for the GCC Notification feature https://planner.uservoice.com/forums/330525-microsoft-planner-feedback-forum/category/359275-notific...

@KOHareGreat idea, done!