Wrong column showing up when migrating Project files from one instance to another

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am currently in the process of moving Project files from one PWA instance to another (will refer to as "PWA 1" and PWA 2"). To do this, I copied all of the data from PWA 1, found through Server Settings - Enterprise Custom Fields and Lookup Tables, and replicated it on PWA 2.

I then saved the PWA 1 project files by opening the MS Project desktop app under the PWA 1 instance, "saved as" to my PC locally, then opened MS Project again under the PWA 2 instance and opened that locally saved project file.

Most of the data, such as the task names, percentages, dates, notes, durations, etc., load correctly.

However, we have an Enterprise custom field named "Enterprise WBS Code" in PWA 1. When I open a project file, it will show up as our first column. For some reason, when I open the locally saved project file in PWA 2 instance, that column is replaced by another random custom field named "PT Number", and no data is shown in that column.

Am I doing this wrong? Is there another way to migrate files from one PWA instance to another and keep all the data in the file exactly the same? Or a setting I need to change in order to display the correct custom field column in PWA 2?

Thank you.

2 Replies

Hello @alexsong99 ,

From the details in the post, it sounds like you are manually recreating the custom fields via the UI by typing the data again? If so, the custom fields will have new internal GUIDs. To get the MS Project views to show the correct columns, you could update the Enterprise Global on PWA 2 to set up the correct views again. Or look at a tool like Fluent Books to do the migration between PWA instances as this way everything should be maintained when performing a full migration. https://fluentpro.com/fluentbooks-for-project-online/ 

Paul

Thank you for this reply! In what way would I be able to update the global so the data aligns again? I tried editing the global to show the correct view, but it still seems to be giving me the same issue. I am treating using a third-party tool as a last resort.
Thanks!