SOLVED

What is the best method to show/hide specific columns?

Copper Contributor

Hello - 

I have a project with standard columns:

• Baseline start
  • baseline finish
  • Actual Start
  • Actual Finish

What is the easiest way to toggle quickly between the two, hiding the baseline start/finish in the project and also in the gantt chart view, and then also hiding the actual start/finish.

Thanks

8 Replies

@FrogFrolo 

I select field column headers, right click, and select "Hide Column". But if you want something really quick, record a macro of those steps and then add that macro to the Quick Access Toolbar. BOOM! one click on the Quick Access icon and its done.

John

@John-project 

Hi John,

If I go with the macro route, if I hide the columns it will still show up in the gantt chart view. Is there a way to hide it in the gantt chart view as well?

FrogFrolo,
A view is made up of a screen (e.g. Gantt Chart), table, (e.g. Entry), group and filter. Fields that appear as columns are defined by the view table (e.g. Entry). As long as whatever view you are using and the Gantt Chart view share the same view table, then the recorded macro that modifies the view table will be active in both views.
John
How about having 2 Views and switching with just 2 clicks?
I've set up two tables, one for actuals (hiding baseline) one for baseline (hiding actuals) yet on the gantt chart they both show up even if i've chosen the baseline table.
Any suggestions on how I would go about hiding them to only show on the gantt chart what has been selected?
best response confirmed by FrogFrolo (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@FrogFrolo 

The view table is only one element of a view. If you create two separate view tables in order to have them show separately you will need to create two separate views. For example, create a new view called "Actuals" and select your view table that shows the Actual fields. Something like this:

2023-03-26_16-46-27.png

Create another new view called "Baseline" and select your view table that shows the Baseline fields.

I should also ask what version of Project are you using. My screen shot is for the desktop version.

John

Thanks John, I managed to get this working perfectly using the views in combination with the tables.
For anyone else who runs into the same situation as me, you can group by "no group".
FrogFrolo,
You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.
John
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by FrogFrolo (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@FrogFrolo 

The view table is only one element of a view. If you create two separate view tables in order to have them show separately you will need to create two separate views. For example, create a new view called "Actuals" and select your view table that shows the Actual fields. Something like this:

2023-03-26_16-46-27.png

Create another new view called "Baseline" and select your view table that shows the Baseline fields.

I should also ask what version of Project are you using. My screen shot is for the desktop version.

John

View solution in original post