SOLVED

Vacation in MS Project

Copper Contributor
Hi, I'm, struggling with vacations in MS Project. When I' inserting vacations in "insert working time", this is gone when I close the program and open it again. Does anyone here knows what Im doing wrong?
I am simply writing the name of the vacation with an start-date and an end-date and press ok.
6 Replies
HaakonFS,
It would help to know which version of Project you are using (i.e. standalone desktop, Plan 1, 3 or 5, Project for the Web).

There is a "Change working time" icon in Project desktop but I'm not aware of any "Insert working time". A screen shot would be very helpful.

Vacation times for resources are set at resource level (i.e. customized resource calendar) but holidays or other company non-working periods are set at project level (i.e. customized project calendar).

We need to better understand what you have and what you are doing before we can be of much help.
John
HaakonFS --

We want to help you, my friend, but you are leaving us guessing for lack of supporting information. Would you be able to post some screenshots of what you are trying to do? That would help us to troubleshoot and resolve your problem. Thanks!

@John-project I am using the standalone desktop version.

Yes, I am using the "change working time"-icon. (I am using the Norwegian version, so I just translated it wrong, sorry).

I see. I want to change it for the project, and not for the resources. Hopw can I do this?

Thank you for your help:)

best response confirmed by Dale Howard (MVP)
Solution

@HaakonFS 

When you mentioned vacations I assumed you meant time off for individual resources as that is what we in the US call a vacation. But it sounds like you are really talking about country/company holidays which apply to all resources.

To set up a custom calendar, first create a new calendar, perhaps based on the Standard, as I show here. I've also edited the work week to show work hours from 7:00 to 16:00 with a hour for lunch break.

2023-03-10_08-35-06.png

Then I added a company summer shut down week in July. As as many exceptions as needed to cover the current and future years.

2023-03-10_08-38-09.png

Hope that helps to get you started.

John

That's perfect. Now I understand how this works, thank you so much:)

@HaakonFS 

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Dale Howard (MVP)
Solution

@HaakonFS 

When you mentioned vacations I assumed you meant time off for individual resources as that is what we in the US call a vacation. But it sounds like you are really talking about country/company holidays which apply to all resources.

To set up a custom calendar, first create a new calendar, perhaps based on the Standard, as I show here. I've also edited the work week to show work hours from 7:00 to 16:00 with a hour for lunch break.

2023-03-10_08-35-06.png

Then I added a company summer shut down week in July. As as many exceptions as needed to cover the current and future years.

2023-03-10_08-38-09.png

Hope that helps to get you started.

John

View solution in original post