Use of Project

Copper Contributor

Hello Everyone,

I am an freelance project manager/designer who wants to have a little more control over different projects. i am with 3-4 different clients per week and would have liked to have used project to track my time managment, progress and cost. Currently i put evrything in my outlook calendar but find this more and more confusing to become...

Is project recommended and are there any tips & tricks?

Possibly working with subprojects?

Thanks!

Kind regards, 

Nys Ricardo

1 Reply

@Nys_Ricardo 

You can use Project to schedule your time/activities with each client and track progress and cost, if, you can adequately define client activities. I would think that type of work is "open-ended", meaning you won't always know what the "task" is so it becomes more of an allocated time (i.e. scheduled meeting) with the client. From that you may be able to identify specific tasks that can be quantified such that progress can be tracked. But, it all depends on what you hope/expect to get from Project.

As far as using subprojects, you only have 3 or 4 clients so unless each client's support evolves into multiple defined tasks (e.g. 100 tasks for each client), I suggest you keep everything in a single file with each client's activities under its own summary line (i.e. separate summary group for each client). Subprojects have overhead which you probably don't need. For example, they are a linked structure and prone to corruption if not managed with the utmost discipline. However, if you need to share plan details with each client, independent of the other clients, then using subprojects may make sense.

My thoughts, others may jump in with their suggestions.

John