Trace Logic - How to easily see a milestone's predecessors

Copper Contributor

P6 user question again, wondering how i can replicate this functionality from P6 in MS Project

dc_27_0-1662977058439.png

In P6 i can click on a milestone (or any activity) and see it's predecessors visually to find out status - also great for understanding someone else's project...

Any suggestions for replication?  i just find using the "search button" annoying, and can't seem to customise the predecessor details in project to help out with dates etc

Regards

David

6 Replies
dc_27 --

Apply the Gantt Chart view and then click the Gantt Chart Format tab to display the Gantt Chart Format ribbon. Select any task, such as a milestone, for example. In the Bar Styles section of the ribbon, click the Task Path pick list button and select the Predecessors item. Microsoft Project will format the Gantt bars in yellow for every task that is a Predecessor to the selected task. If you click the Task Path pick list again, you can select the Driving Predecessors item. Microsoft Project will format in orange the Gantt bars of the tasks whose schedule directly controls the Start date of the selected task. Hope this helps.
Hi Dale - to a degree.

It's not very helpful to a schedule that has c. 1500 activities as i still need to scroll up and down and search for them

Is there a way to filter the view based on a milestones driving predecessors?

i might have a poke about and see if i can find anything

@dc_27 

Pardon me for bumping in. Based on your screen shot you can get the same information in Project by using the Relationship Diagram in the lower pane of the window. For example, this shows the drivers and successors for the selected task. Or if you want more information, try the Descriptive Network Diagram.

2022-09-13_09-09-32.png

John

Getting there!
Can we customise the relationship diagram to show driving logic / dates / critical relationships? Otherwise, i'm still scrolling around to find the useful info
David
David,
Project is not known for its exemplary graphics. The developers tried to improve that with the introduction of the Reports feature created when Project 2013 was released but that, I believe, was to answer requests for more management type show and tell presentations.

The only network customizable views are the Network and Descriptive Network Diagram views.

John

1. Display only all predecessors and all successors of the selected task using filters or macros.(★)
2. Change the relationship diagram view to the network diagram view.
3. Select all filtered tasks in the Gantt chart. (★)
4. It looks like P6 in the network diagram.
5. The relationship diagram shows only direct predecessors and successors of the selected task, and the network diagram shows all predecessors and all successors of the selected task.
p.s.
Unfortunately, I saw it somewhere 4 years ago and did all the tests, but now I can't even find the test file, and I can't remember where I saw it.