SOLVED

Task summary name in PWA

Copper Contributor

Dear all,

I couldn't find a related topic but direct me in the right direction if there is one.

In the task pane an user can see his/her tasks, but since we have a lot of the same tasks repeating for different summary tasks it's needed to show the summary task of that task to identify what needs to be done. In the desktop app it is easy to add this column. There is not such a field in the PWA which you can add.

In the desktop app you can create a text field with the syntax [Task Summary Name]  which in the desktop app will give you exactly that. You can than add that field to the enterprise and at first it works. Just not on all projects in the enterprise. In some projects the new field creates an error. In others not. But in the PWA it can even vary within a project. Some tasks have the field name filled out. Others have not. Haven't found the causation. 

Is it possible to show the task summary name for a task in an other way or to make the field more stable the way I created it? We use project server online 365

Many thanks in advance!

8 Replies
best response confirmed by Bert_Wolff (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Bert --

Ask your Project Online application administrator to add the Task Hierarchy field to the My Assignments view (the default view for the Tasks page in PWA). Then ask your team members to do the following:

1. Navigate to the Tasks page in PWA.
2. Click the Tasks tab to expand the Tasks ribbon at the top of the page.
3. In the Data section of the Tasks ribbon, click the Group By pick list button and select the Custom Group By item.
4. In the Group Fields dialog, set the grouping as follows:

Group By = Planning Window
Then By = Project Name
Then by = Task Hierarchy

The Task Hierarchy grouping will show the immediate summary task for each task in the Tasks page. Hope this helps.
Thank you Dale! This works. I am the application administrator so I could make the change myself. I just couldn't select the planning window as a grouping field in the view management or this would be the standard setting. Many thanks again
Bert --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend! :)

@Dale Howard 

Hi Dale, I was wondering if it was possible to also show Task Hierarchy in the Timesheet view? I added the field under manage views for My Timesheet, however when I try to select the option to Group By: Custom Group, Task Hierarchy does not appear as an option in the drop down list. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

csmathers2 --

Yes, this is possible. First, make sure that you are using Single Entry Mode (SEM) in Project Online or Project Server. Then, modify the My Work view in the Timesheet section of the Manage Views page in PWA. You will need to add the Task Hierarchy field to the My Work view. Then you can apply grouping by Project and then by Task Hierarchy. Keep in mind that each enterprise project needs to use summary tasks to display the WBS of the project and to organizes into meaningful sections of the project. Hope this helps.
Thanks, Dale. I did as suggested and encountered the same issue. I've added the Task Hierarchy filed to both the My Work and My Timesheet views and selected SEM. Task Hierarchy still doesn't show up in the drop down list for the group by options for either view. Is there something else I could be missing?
csmaters2 --

You have to apply the Task Hierarchy group when you are modifying the definition of the My Work and My Timesheet views as the administrator. Hope this helps.
Hi Dale,

I did execute those steps as an administrator. It's perplexing to me, as I did the same steps for My Assignments and the Tasks page, as initially described in this thread, and that worked fine. Thanks, again!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Bert_Wolff (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Bert --

Ask your Project Online application administrator to add the Task Hierarchy field to the My Assignments view (the default view for the Tasks page in PWA). Then ask your team members to do the following:

1. Navigate to the Tasks page in PWA.
2. Click the Tasks tab to expand the Tasks ribbon at the top of the page.
3. In the Data section of the Tasks ribbon, click the Group By pick list button and select the Custom Group By item.
4. In the Group Fields dialog, set the grouping as follows:

Group By = Planning Window
Then By = Project Name
Then by = Task Hierarchy

The Task Hierarchy grouping will show the immediate summary task for each task in the Tasks page. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post