SOLVED

Task setting that doesn't affect overall project

Copper Contributor

Is there a way to add a task to your project that doesn't automatically affect the overall project calculation? For example, I have a task where I need to track if someone ordered a sign. If that person is behind and didn't order it, my project should continue on as originally scheduled and we would just complete the project without the sign. The way I have it now, if I mark this task complete, it auto schedules the remainder of the project based on the predecessors I have assigned. I understand the manual vs auto scheduling and how the predecessors work. ('d like to keep the autoschedule for when the task should start) I was just hoping there's a way to identify a task that isn't critical enough to affect my entire schedule. 

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Dale Howard (MVP)
Solution
ajaffke,
First of all, if your plan will continue whether or not the sign was ordered, I question whether the sign "task" should even be in the schedule.

However if you still want to show the sign task don't have any other tasks in your plan dependent on it (i.e. no predecessors or successors). In my view this is bad practice but it does address your scenario.
John
Sadly, I have to add this sign task to track if someone else is doing their work. At the end of the day, I'm responsible for the project and have to report on why or why we don't have a sign when I'm ready to open. It is frustrating on my end. Thank you for the response!
ajaffke,
You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.
John
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Dale Howard (MVP)
Solution
ajaffke,
First of all, if your plan will continue whether or not the sign was ordered, I question whether the sign "task" should even be in the schedule.

However if you still want to show the sign task don't have any other tasks in your plan dependent on it (i.e. no predecessors or successors). In my view this is bad practice but it does address your scenario.
John

View solution in original post