task duration with few resources

Copper Contributor

hi everyone, 
if for a task I have 100 hours available but for this project I can dedicate only 20% of the resource how do I get the correct task duration?

3 Replies
Andrea --

If you are using the Microsoft Project desktop application, set the Task Type to either Fixed Units or Fixed Work. Assign the resource with a Units value of 20% and a Work value of 100h. Microsoft Project will automatically calculate the Duration, which would be 62.5 days.

If you are using Project for the Web, enter a Duration value of 62.5 days for the task. Assign the resource to the task. Project for the Web will calculate the Effort value as 500h, which assumes full-time work. Change the Effort value to 100h.

Hope this helps.

@Dale Howard 

thanks for the quick response!

what do you mean by work value? i don't have that field on task information :(

Andrea -

It sounds like you are using the Microsoft Project desktop application. Select the task in question. Apply the Gantt Chart view, then right-click anywhere in the white part of the Gantt Chart screen on the right side of the view and then click the Show Split item on the shortcut menu. This will apply a view known as the Task Entry view, and you will see the Task Form view in the bottom pane. In the bottom pane, you can select the name of the resource, enter a Units value, and enter a Work value as well. Hope this helps.