SOLVED

SV Negative value But Status On Schedule?

Copper Contributor

Hi

Can someone help explain why my SV value is negative which I understand means my project is behind schedule based on earn value analysis but my project status is showing on schedule? Is there a difference on how status calculates the schedule of the project as oppose to how SV does it. Or am I missing something fundamental here. 

I have attached a snapshot of the Variance table of the project plan. The status date and current date is set as 20 March 2023.

Appreciate help to above query.

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Dale Howard (MVP)
Solution

@KR 

Earn Value Analysis makes use of Baseline data while the "Status" field has nothing to do with Baseline. The "Status" field is based on the following fields

• Start Date
  • % Complete
  • Status Date

E.g. If "Status Date" is Day 5 and a 10-day Task is shown as 50% complete on Day 5, then "Status" field value is "On Schedule" but if this 10-day Task is shown as 20% on Day 5, then "Status" field value is "Late".

A Task that is 100% complete will have "Status" field value as "Complete" while a Task whose "Start Date" is greater than "Status Date" will have "Status" field value of "Future Task".

=jerome

Hi

Thanks for the prompt reply and providing the clarification. Your rseponse much appreciated.
Best Rgds
Kish
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Dale Howard (MVP)
Solution

@KR 

Earn Value Analysis makes use of Baseline data while the "Status" field has nothing to do with Baseline. The "Status" field is based on the following fields

• Start Date
  • % Complete
  • Status Date

E.g. If "Status Date" is Day 5 and a 10-day Task is shown as 50% complete on Day 5, then "Status" field value is "On Schedule" but if this 10-day Task is shown as 20% on Day 5, then "Status" field value is "Late".

A Task that is 100% complete will have "Status" field value as "Complete" while a Task whose "Start Date" is greater than "Status Date" will have "Status" field value of "Future Task".

=jerome

View solution in original post