Sharing a project between Project Plan 1 (online) and Project Plan 3 (desktop version)

Copper Contributor

I have a project in Project plan 1 that I share with my team mates. I want to export that project to Project Plan 3 (desktop version). Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a way to export the mpp file from the online version, only an excel file. When I try to import the excel file, I removed the rows before the tasks, and used the project wizard to do the import. I selected no map, new project and import headers. When I get to the step to map the fields, I select the sheet name, but no fields appear from the excel file to map. I cannot move forward. Any thoughts?

3 Replies

Hello @Carolyn_P-M ,

This might be an option for you if you want to export Project for the web projects to MPP files: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/project-for-the-web/export-user-data-from-project-for-the-web 

Paul

@Paul Mather thank you so much for your reply. Unfortunately, I don't have admin priviledge on our company website. I still don't understand why the Desktop Import wizard is not pulling in the excel fields from the spreadsheet. Any ideas?

Carolyn --

I created a simple project in Project for the Web and then exported the project to a Microsoft Excel workbook. Like you, the Import Wizard in Microsoft Project was not able to find any fields in the exported Excel workbook. Then I copied and pasted the task information from the original Excel workbook to a new blank workbook and saved the new workbook with a different name. Miraculously, the Import Wizard in Microsoft Project can now find the fields in the new Excel workbook. I DO NOT know why the original exported workbook would not work with the Import Wizard, but at least you have a path forward.

Also, keep in mind that you are going to need to clean up the Excel workbook containing the exported data from the Project for the Web project. Hope this helps.