Resource assignment

Copper Contributor

Hello, 

I have a project with 100+ tasks that are all inter depended on each other and a group of resources with identical skills however I'm unsure how to leverage their skill set to minimize overall timeline.  If I assign them in the traditional manner,  R1 to task 1 and R2 to task 2 and so on, I could be inadvertently blocking tasks so I would rather prefer if I could tell MS Project 'these are the available resources, assign them to tasks to produce the shortest possible timeline'...

Any ideas?

Thanks Pete   

1 Reply
Hi, I am really not a pro. And I do miss this feature really. As I can remember you have such groups of persons in Omni Project on Osx. You assign the group and let the program choose who will be assigned. I guess you can not do this in MS Project. Please correct me if I am wrong. I guess this is an example for generic resources. So you create a resource, let's say "skill 1" mark it as generic, put in a percentage which correspondents to your number of workers and assign it to all of the tasks you want. And from time to time, when you know who really is available you put in the exact employee. This is what I would do. Regards Björn